Questions about BBK longtube headers

rllndg17

Jun 9, 2004
Well I just bought BBK long tube headers (chrome). I still need to buy a short h-pipe for it and I have a couple of questions for those that can help me out. These headers are chrome and so I'm worried from reading some posts that they will rust pretty fast. I was wondering how I could keep that from happening? and what the consequences were besides bad looks which don't bother me if it's underneath that car...also, I plan on getting a bbk catted h-pipe for a nice fit. and finally, does anybody have estimates on how much it can cost to have them installed? I want to try and do them myself but finding the time is gona be hard.

Gabe

oh and I hear the gaskets are supposed to be crap so I was wondering where I can get some nicer ones...thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have had mine for a few years, I haven't had any issues with them, aside from them turning colors and a little rust on the outside. Can't really see them tucked under the engine. I might have an H pipe w/ cats for sale if your interested..hit me up on the PM :)

Mine have a little rust by the collector but thats it. I havent had any issues with the gaskets yet, but most people have issues right away from what Ive heard. And I have also heard that if you get long tubes installed by a shop, it might cost around 1G.

Thanks for the help, I think I'm gona wrap them with exhaust tape to help with heat etc...are they really that big of a pain to put on? 1g for instal is sickening hah even gears were just 180 installed in my area so I duno maybe I could get it installed cheaper

I used vht ceramic paint on my headers. got a fine sand paper, and scuffed it up, cleaned it with alcohol, then did about 3 fine layers. then I baked them (their instructions).

honestly, its not hard to install. just need basic hand tools, jack stands, and a jack (the more, the better). the hardest part was putting the kmember back on. the thing weighs more than I do :(.

for gaskets, hit up randy at modulardepot.com. go with oem or go home :p.

Def. go with the stage 8's. Shop around for a good price if you are going to let a shop do it. It is a pain to put LT's on our cars, but if you do it yourself you will enjoy them more.

it will cost you between 800 - 1000 to get them installed, its a lot of work and a very tedious process. From personal expierence, I am glad i installed mine myself..but i would NEVER do it again. Remember, there are only two ways to put on long tubes: Drop the K member or drop the tranny. Keep in mind with BBK headers if you need to get to the tranny the passenger side header has to come off. I did my clutch at the same time to avoid me ever having to do that again.

Go to your local ford dealer for gaskets, the ones from BBK are crap.

I just reused the stock gaskets since they were in great shape and reused the stock bolts/studs with some locktite. Plan on checking the bolts out next week since it will be 250 miles since install. I checked them at 100 and still tight.

MineralG2k2GT said:
it will cost you between 800 - 1000 to get them installed, its a lot of work and a very tedious process. From personal expierence, I am glad i installed mine myself..but i would NEVER do it again. Remember, there are only two ways to put on long tubes: Drop the K member or drop the tranny. Keep in mind with BBK headers if you need to get to the tranny the passenger side header has to come off. I did my clutch at the same time to avoid me ever having to do that again.

Go to your local ford dealer for gaskets, the ones from BBK are crap.

I seen a shop charge 350:shrug:

I say paint them with Silver header paint. I painted my PC befor i installed them, and it was about as good as when I installed it year and half later.

My coated BBK loog as good as when it was new..

sweet, thanks again to all of you helping me out w/ answers. If I can find a shop that will do it for 350 I can handle that if not I found some nice write ups. One last question, the shorty h-pipe will be a bolt on correct? I don't think it needs any welding or at least I hope not...

stage 8 are locking header bolts. they make sure you don't have to tighten the bolts after you put them on.

its a real pain to do that or replace blown gaskets. you're doing the whole process all over again.

google "fn sweet" and it should be the first link. that's the writeup I, along with most people on this board used to install their headers.