Questions about Kenne Bell supercharger...

KingDiamond

Mar 9, 2003
Chicago, IL
It looks like I might make a couple extra bucks this spring and I'm thinking about going with a Kenne Bell supercharger.

My car is mostly a street car and I will probably hit the track about 4 times a year so streetability is a big priority. This is also my daily driver from March till October.

I have a couple questions about this supercharger:

How loud is the supercharger? I don't want a really loud whistle under the hood.

The supercharger takes the place of the stock upper intake. But the lower intake is still the stock one. If I replaced this with a better lower would it make a difference or does the lower intake flow good as is?

How much horsepower can I expect with the Kenne Bell 1500 supercharger @ 6 psi?

Their websites says that it makes an extra 30 hp at 9 psi. Wil the stock engine handle that much boost?

Suppose I have the 1500 supercharger, if I upgrade the heads to AFR 165's, how much horsepower should I be making? (with necessary fuel delivery improvements)

• Sponsors (?)

A 1500 will essentially be dead quiet - there is a little noise at WOT, but it sounds good.

You can get a KB discharge to fit a stock lower and a GT40 lower - but there really isn't much of a flow improvement with the GT 40 lower.

Figure 15RWHP/pound of boost with a well tuned engine.

I have run as much as 14# on a stock (140K mile) block - not the wisest thing, but it hasn't hurt anything yet. If you go to 9# you really need better injectors and better fuel pump and a chip. With a 6# kit you get an FMU and everything you need to run it as-is.

Adding heads will give you about 40-60 RWHP with the blower, with a good tune.