Quick answer: Safe to make a couple dyno runs?

TheFleshRocket

Founding Member
Jul 10, 2002
Southern Ill Annoy
With what I've been reading about Terminators overheating the number 7 and 8 cylinders during high speed, high RPM pulls, I am wondering if I have anything to worry about making a couple of dyno runs.

Thing is, the guy who sold me my '04 claims it put down 463rwhp and was tuned to around a 12:1 AFR. Being the skeptic I am, I would like to verify those numbers and I don't want to risk damaging the engine. I'd just be making three pulls, probably in fourth gear. Will I probably be safe doing this?

(I plan on having a new clutch installed along with the LDC cooling mod. I am just waiting for the parts from LDC. But after changing out the clutch, I expect I'll have to drive around for at least several hundred miles without going WOT and I'd rather not put off finding out about the tune and horsepower that long.)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The damage you are hearing about comes from extended high RPM runs. Just running the car up to redline in 4th during a dyno run and then getting out of the throttle is not a problem what-so-ever. It's the guys who go out on the highway and run their cars in 5th gear at 160+ MPH for a couple minutes at a time. The PTW clearance on these cars is VERY tight and the pistons will actually expand too much due to the massive heat build up and then you're in a world of hurt.

U.M.

TheFleshRocket said:
Should I let the car cool down between runs? If so, let it idle or shut it down? And how long? Thanks guys!
Well unless you have some additional cooling mods a stock Eaton running a smaller pulley will heat soak the engine rather quickly, and each successive back-to-back dyno pull will consistently read less HP/TQ than the previous one. Depending on the dyno operator and how much he is charging you (by the pull, or by the hour) you can let it sit for 20 minutes between pulls with the engine off and a fan blowing through the front bumper. If you really wanted to cool it down quicker you could fashion a jumper wire and continue to run the IC pump while the engine is off. This will drop the inter-cooler temps faster. (See pics below)

If all you're doing is ensuring the current tune is safe A/F ratio wise then a big cool down period is not necessary. Only if you are tuning and wanting to go for the max numbers for bragging rights do you really need to let the car cool off.

U.M.

Here's some pics of how to jump the circuit to keep your IC pump running when the car is off. This is a cool little trick for those who run their cars at the track and want to cool it down a little quicker between rounds. This guy used some 14 gauge wire to make his.

6906d1090639434-intercooler-pump-jumper-mod-ic-bypass-1-jpeg.jpg

6907d1090639434-intercooler-pump-jumper-mod-ic-bypass-2-jpeg.jpg

6908d1090639434-intercooler-pump-jumper-mod-ic-bypass-3a-jpeg.jpg

SVT98Snake said:
good tip UM. Do you think this is recommended for normal daily driving?
The IC jumper? NO! Only use this jumper when the car is not running yet you want to circulate coolant through the intercooler and heat exchanger. Once the car is started the IC pump runs all the time. This jumper should only be connected when the car is not running.

U.M.