Quick help 302 pistons in a 306???

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Im about to buy a complete engine for my car the guy said that its a 306 thats just been freshened with the bottom end of a 92 302 with forged pistons with bigger rings to fit the 306.... has anyone ever heard of someone doing this???

• Sponsors (?)

Isn't there a slightly longer stroke you can get with different rods and technically end up with the same cubes? I'm not sure on this but it seems like i read it somewhere....they called it a long stroke 302..

I think you might be talking about flipping the rods, or maybe it was using 289 rods....

It's definitely something old school i'm thinking of....maybe 351 rods...i'm not sure. In theory more stroke equals more cubes but i'm not even totally sure if there's enough cylinder to do it...i don't know much about it aside from a vague memory of reading about it.

ive heard of the term "boring loose" where you throw a slightly smaller piston in that the bore, or bore your cyl out a small bit larger than your piston. not sure on the number, maybe .010-.020" difference.
theory is that it will make the engine rev up faster.

while i am sure it has oil burning problems problems and wears pistons and cyls much faster than normal. for a hardcore racer that has the engine out and apart alot refreshing it and buying new parts. i could see it happening.

the hardcore racers do lots of small things to gain the edge...

i duno if this happens alot but i have heard of it.

The 306 is a 302 with a .030 overbore. The crank, and rods are the same, the pistons and rings are .030 larger. There never has been a 306 that became a 306 by any other method other than boring it .030 oversize. Grinding the crankpins offset to achieve a 4 cubic inch gain isn't worth the effort. You would need a very odd sized rod bearing to get the correct bearing clearances.

Alright guys i just talked to the kid and he talked to his brother who had the work done... and he said that it was honed not bored.... and they put in new rings and bearings.... so i guess that means its still a 302 which is cool.... now do you guys think this is an ok deal???? its basically the engine trick flow heads , an e cam, 1.6 rockers... new waterpump. energy suspension mounts. new oil pump... motor was fressioned with new rings and bearings... hardened push rods. and all accessories off of a 94/95 cobra... $1200 without an intake manifold... but he has a eld vic jr manifold i can pick up from him.... im gonna see if since its a 302 if i can trade my explorer manifold and 1200 for the complete motor

Heres a good test I did...

Bone Stock bottem end with 100K: 265rwhp / 308rwtq

Honed Stock bottem end rerung: 272 rwhp / 316 rwtq

Not worth a lot but worth something. The motor when it was in my car (its back in there now) did not burn oil or use anymore than it ever did. I did this because of fuel wash and nasty looking cylinder walls, but some racers do it for that extra kick!