Qurestions about motor years?

BlueBronk

Feb 26, 2004
Hey,

I am a bit new to the 5.0 scene so bare with me. Can you tell me what the difference is between the '89-'91 5.0's and the '92 and '93's? I am doing a conversion into an Early Bronco to replace my 302 and want the best year Fuel Injected 5.0 I can get. Will I need to go with a certain year computer box to match or are they interchangeable for these years. Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks Much
BlueBronk

• Sponsors (?)

93 5.0 Motor's has Hypertuentic pistons some late 92's had these too.
The other years have forged pistons. Any computer will work it just has to be a mass-air computer which started in 89.

TrophyHead said:
93 5.0 Motor's has Hypertuentic pistons some late 92's had these too.
The other years have forged pistons. Any computer will work it just has to be a mass-air computer which started in 89.

Thanks for the reply,
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the Hyprtuenic Pistons in the '93's? Were the '93's roller and were they also Mass Air? Any idea on Horsepower on the 89-91's as compared to the '93s? I have a guy that wants to sell me a '93 w/ 95K mi complete for $200.00. It runs good and has intake and all. Don't think it has the wiring harness or computer box. How much for these items? Does that sound like a good price? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Much,

BlueBronk

BlueBronk said:
Thanks for the reply,
Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the Hyprtuenic Pistons in the '93's? Were the '93's roller and were they also Mass Air? Any idea on Horsepower on the 89-91's as compared to the '93s? I have a guy that wants to sell me a '93 w/ 95K mi complete for $200.00. It runs good and has intake and all. Don't think it has the wiring harness or computer box. How much for these items? Does that sound like a good price? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Much,

BlueBronk

For $200 dollars I'd do it...93 pistons are lighter but not as strong for boost and nitrous as forged are...87-93 5.0 HOs make same power even though Ford said 93's only made 205hp compared to the 87-92's 225hp. That was strictly a marketing ploy...

Good Luck :nice:

Hypereutectic pistons are pretty strong pistons for a N/A combo. They just don't like detonation one bit. For 200 bucks, I would go for it. Anywhere between 87-92 you will get forged pistons, 93 is the hypers. And yeah, they just reduced the hp ratings a bit so that the 94's looked a bit more impressive. Plus I heard they had a new way of measuring hp that threw things off. I would go for it man!