radar detector hardwire

• Sponsors (?)

On my honda I bought a cig lighter at the parts store and mounted it in the glove box. I took power from a switched 12v source so I don't have to unplug or turn off the detector everytime I shut the car off. I then ran the detector cable along the roof down the a piller into the glove box and WALA! nice clean install with no unsightly cables and such.

SilverGTV8 said:
On my honda I bought a cig lighter at the parts store and mounted it in the glove box. I took power from a switched 12v source so I don't have to unplug or turn off the detector everytime I shut the car off. I then ran the detector cable along the roof down the a piller into the glove box and WALA! nice clean install with no unsightly cables and such.

I have heard tis easy to wire it to the fuse box..any insight anyone?

9646gt said:

it's VERY easy....you can even buy the kit from wal mart or pepboyz...

u just wanna make sure that you have an inline fuse on the positive side(running to the fuse box)the same as what's in the oem power adapter. You can run the power wire to the fuse box to any source that cuts off with ignition and the ground to anything grounded metal --which you will find near the fuse box...just make sure you use proper crimps and what not...try not to rig it all--the job is so simple--rigging is very tempting...

9646gt said:
Just curious but do you have to cut the end off your power cord to do this? Or will the kit eliminate the need for doing that? Any idea on price?

the kit eliminates you having to cut your cord....and really the only reasons u want the kit is for length of wire supplied....and to keep from cutting your oem cord....

i think they should be less than 20 for sure....if not than just go find another cord--or buy just a long non coiled cord that goes for something else-cut off the lighter section, and stick on a inline fuseholder....and BAM....

This would cost you less than 5.00

All you need is an inline fuse and some crimp on connectors and then go to the fuse box or the battery like you do when you wire up an amp.

Or a cheaper way, you could just splice into the wire going to the cigarette lighter. The detector doesnt draw much current, so it wont overload the circuit and blow the fuse.

UNVMATT said:

All you need is an inline fuse and some crimp on connectors and then go to the fuse box or the battery like you do when you wire up an amp.

Or a cheaper way, you could just splice into the wire going to the cigarette lighter. The detector doesnt draw much current, so it wont overload the circuit and blow the fuse.

fuse is also to protect radar from getting fried....

UNVMATT said:

I tapped into the map-lights power (on your rear view mirror). Don't do this though. Every time I open the door and the lights go on the detector goes out. I had to rewire it to the fuse box.... which I hate bc its a pain to be on your back working upside down....

02mingreyconv said:
I tapped into the map-lights power (on your rear view mirror). Don't do this though. Every time I open the door and the lights go on the detector goes out. I had to rewire it to the fuse box.... which I hate bc its a pain to be on your back working upside down....

Wow, thanks for the warning!

I was thinking of connecting up my detector to the map-light's power, wrongly assuming it was a constant +12v. It never dawned on me that the power would be "cut" when ever the doors open. I guess someone at Ford figured you shouldn't have the "dome" light on and the map lights on, at the same time.

9646gt said:
awesome replies guys..would running the wire to the radio fuse be a goo place to wire? Are you jsut wiring into the back of the box where the fuse plugs in?

i take a spade fuse and find either an empty slot in the fuse box that cuts off with ign. or i slip the wire in with another fuse that cuts off with ignition...if u know the radio fuse cuts off--then that would work just fine...