Radio controls on the steering wheel????

OK back to the controls.

Wifes previous car:Bonneville SSEi (steering wheel controls)
Wifes current car: Mazda Millenia S (wheel controls)
My current truck: GMC HD (wheel controls)
Wifes next car: 05 GT (no wheel controls :notnice: )

Of all of these, a truck would be the last one you'd expect to have them, but I can't live without now. I can't understand why Ford has always put the Cruise buttons on the wheel. The whole point of cruise is to not have to mess with something while driving. Put it on the dash or signal lever! Once it's set, leave it alone. The sound, however, is constantly in need of adjustment (loud commercials, station changes, track changes etc.).

Just my rant.

• Sponsors (?)

I realize to some extent that I am reaching a little with this idea. But hey if we don't stretch our thinking... What about Ford took into consideration that this car is supposed to be customizable. Then in that thinking they chose not to have controls on the steering wheel. As those controls may or may not be useful with an aftermarket stereo. Or maybe they could not use the steering wheels controls with all 3 types of stereos going into the stang. I don't know if any of this is fact. Just presenting possible ideas on why.

Mustang_Maniac said:
Ok...I knew I'd get a comeback like that. I don't think I'll give a real response to that, because it's pointless and now it'll be a money thing that'll go on forever. One thing though...I don't believe the Mustang should be for 40 year olds, as it was never originally designed for them. It was designed for younger people, not people going through their mid-life crisis. Just my thoughts.

:nonono: :uzi:

WindveilGT said:
You make a good point. Hovewer, I changed the Bonny's stereo to a 1.5 DIN Kenwood. For an extra $130 there is an aftermarket module to keep the steering wheel controls.

I did not know there was something aftermarket. Although for an extra $130. I think I could change the station on my own. :D

SVTdriver said:
I did not know there was something aftermarket. Although for an extra $130. I think I could change the station on my own. :D
ya, no kidding, seems like a waste to me. I don't know very much about electronics, but from my own observations, anyone I know that has controls on their steering wheels say they don't work. Is this a touchy thing that breaks down easily?

Since when are steering wheel radio controls LUXURY items. My wife's 04 mazda 3 has steering wheel controls. While it's a cool little car (ford owned product) it's hardly a LUXURY CAR. It's a pretty standard feature.

I'm curious if hundai and Kia now offer steering wheel stereo controls. It's clearly something ford should consider for future iterations. The only reason it's even a thought to me is an interview I read by the interior designer who said that his goal was to give mustang owners an interior they could be proud of. It would be one more nice little step.

itsgreat2bme said:
ya, no kidding, seems like a waste to me. I don't know very much about electronics, but from my own observations, anyone I know that has controls on their steering wheels say they don't work. Is this a touchy thing that breaks down easily?

I have had several cars with steering wheel radio controls. I never had a problem with them. Reliability is not an issue.

Just have to add my 2cents...

Age 48 M
Elec Engr $$$,$$$.oo
05 on Order
V6 because I drive 160 miles to/from work
Loaded with everything

I have a choice!
Monte Carlo
RX8 (loved my 80's RX7 with sunroof in Austin :lol:
Audi A4
Tiburon - No
Others? just glanced
05 Pony - wanted it the first time I saw it!!! :flag:

Looked at many
Drove the Monte - 2nd choice if Pony doesn't make it...

97 Sunfire will go to my 17 year old daugther..

Drove old Fords in younger years
81 LTD, 68 Galaxie, 68 Mercury boat..
66 Fairlane - many happy memories...
used 289 engine - replace the water pump and you're good to go...

I wanted to stick with :flag: cars and the retro Mustang has me sold...

Just my 2cents... :)

It's a pretty cool feature once you get used to using it. I've had it in my pontiac for 5+ years and it has worked flawlessly, I thought for sure it would be the 1st electronic gizmo to fail.

I have looked at aftermarket stereos, but am unwilling to part with the handy finger controls or pay for the extra remote module to allow the wheel controls to work with a replacement stereo.

I was unaware that Ford even offered steering wheel radio controls, but I noticed it in a recent T-bird rental and the other posts in this thread.

I would be willing to pay extra for it, but it will not influence whether I get a Mustang or not. If it's good enough for the Mazda line it should be good enough for the Mustang. Perhaps the SE or 2nd year Mustang will get the upgrade.

I never understood why the cruise controls for Ford cars are on the steering wheel, they seem to get in the way, especially if there are stereo controls near them.

It seems like October will never get here, so we spend our time talking about this stuff to pass the time. :spot:

NewPony'05 said:
call me a purist, but I don't want ANY controls on my steering wheel

man, now I really feel old :rolleyes:
I thought I was the only one, I find them unneccessary. I didnt know there was that much effort in moving your arm a couple of feet off the steering wheel

No, you're right, there's not that much effort involved in going to the dash for the radio. However, I'm sure that 30-40 years ago there were plenty of fuddy-duddy-minded guys out there who were griping "it's not that much effort to pull up a little door-lock knob, why do I need them new-fangled electro-fied door lock buttons? Now, today, those same guys are popping their electric locks with glee, and can't imagine why they would go back to leaning across the car to unlock the door for the missus, when it was never that big of a deal in the first place. Radio controls on the steering wheel are commonplace in cars today, and quite handy once you get the hang of them and break the old habit of leaning toward the center dash every time you want to make an adjustment. The technology is relatively dirt-cheap, and their placement on the steering wheel is TOTALLY innocuous. It's not as if those buttons are poking you in the eye, or beeping, or rattling as you turn the wheel, or in your way in any way shape or form. They are there for your convenience. If you're too stubborn to use them, then don't, and you'll never know they were there unless you have some psychosis regarding buttons being where you don't think you want buttons, and you slowly creep into an obsessive-compulsive fit and jump from the car screaming "volume controls on the steering wheel of my Mustang!!! What has this world come to?? Oh, the humanity!!! Run away! Run away!!"

I know, I really get carried away with the dramatics!!! LOL :D

But I see it as shortsighted to keep the Mustang in the dark ages, just because it has a heritage that dates back to the dark ages (relatively speaking). The new '05 represents what was great about the old, and tosses out what stinks about the old when compared to modern cars today. After all, we're not going to go back to carburetors and crank windows, are we? If it doesn't have all of the modern conveniences that most other mid-line cars offer, then it won't be very competetive in the market and won't sell as well, even though the "purists" will still be on board. It's great to be a "purist", and I probably fall under that banner too. But purists are a tiny segment of the market that the Mustang must appeal to, so you better get over it. If the general Mustang buying public really wants steering wheel controls, believe me, they'll get 'em sooner or later.

What I want to see is one of these "no frills" advocates toss their T.V. remote controls in the garbage and go back to making the trip from the sofa to the tube....... Yeah, like that would happen......

SVTdriver said:
Not to start an argument. But I think there are people who would like to do away with the electric windows and door locks. Because they weigh more.

Yes they do weigh more. But sometime you have to define your customer, and build the car that they want. Most people will trade a few pounds of weight for added convience .... cause they ain't racing their cars, they're driving them, loving them, and in some cases almost living in them. If you want to pull that stuff out (along with the A/C, Radio, shift to carbon fiber panels ....etc) then your in a unique crowd that wont be satisfied with a mass produced vehicle.
But you are right, I dont remember ever seeing power windows at NASCAR. lol

I agree, there are people who would want that, but those people comprise a tiny tiny segment. Ford knows that having available pwwer windows and locks is an absolute must. So, once you know you're doing those, let's ponder the manual stuff. To engineer and produce and implement manual window regulators, and accomodate their assembly into the car in the plant in-stream with the power-windowed cars (which would also require the production of unique door panels with holes for the cranks), for the tiny number of customers who would opt to go the "manual" route, would actually work out to the overall cost of the manual window car costing Ford more to produce than the power windowed car, IMHO. You'd actually have to either PAY for your manual windows, or Ford would have to take a loss just to satisfy the desires of an overtly tiny minority. Not going to happen, either direction. That's why practically every new car built these days has power windows, due to the fact that over 95% of the customers want them, and therefore the expense of doing an entirely different setup for the remaining 5% is totally inefficient. Of course, doing manual door locks simply requires eliminating the servo that pushes and pulls on the rod. No big deal, but nobody really wants them, and the weight involved is fairly irrelevent. Most people have far more weight in crap crammed in their console glove box.

Reading this post with interest, even if getting a little off topic - LOL!

First - I wish Ford would have decided to put in a better looking steering wheel in the 05 - the one in the car show circuit model was just dog ugly IMO. Maybe it has some sembelance of nostalgic value, it just doesn't work for me. Now that Mazda wheel looks great - maybe they can be swapped? :)

Second, how about a stripper model? Bare bones, minimal insulation, radio delete, no spoilers, scoops, wings, just the bare basics with good motor and drive train. Sort of a basis for a race car if you will? Knock a few pounds off, maybe with some lighter weight stragetically placed items replacing the stock hardware, lightweight racing seats, minimal creature comforts (dare I sat no AC!!). Add a few hot-rod items for the engine - exhaust/intake. Knock a few bones off the price and sell it as the "lightweight GT". It wouldn't particularly interest me, but I'm sure it would some! :nice:

Essentially, you are describing the Cobra R, which is where the "rub" is. There is only a small segment who desires such a car. In this day and age, when you "de-content" a car, and make alot of changes, the dollars add up like CRAZY doing all the additional due-diligence testing, crash tests with the lightweight seats to ensure they are safe, new EPA tests and certifications if you make any slight change mechanically, and on and on. It sounds crazy, but the costs involved in "stripping" a Mustang down and giving it some more oomph is actually mind-boggling, and is primarily the reason why the Cobra R's have always been so pricey. Sure, the 2000 R had exotic mechanicals to be sure. But look at the 1993 Cobra R, as I feel that it reflects EXACTLY what you're looking for in a stripper 2005 GT. No a/c, no radio, manual windows and locks, no soundproofing, no rear seat. It sold for $5,000 MORE than the regular "luxury" Cobra, and Ford lost money on every unit built. It just wouldn't pay to do a stripper Mustang, not enough would sell to pay for all the retesting re-certifying and re-engineering. Back in the 60's, there was SO much less red-tape in building a car, and doing what you suggest would simply be a matter of leaving things out on the assembly line and charging less. In today's modern automotive industry, it just ain't that simple. With progress, there's always a price.

Point taken.

Too bad really, cause the entheusiast has to rely on the aftermarket to build his or her version of the ideal car. Unfortunately, this only tends to reduce the value of the car even further, unlike a factory build performance version which will hold it's value over the standard, and especially over a modded car. But I can certainly understand the value (and downside) of mass production.

On the brighter side, I just think the 05 model just looks awesome. Did 3 trips back (while attending the show) to look at it at this past winter's auto show in Balto. It's bound to be a great car, anxiously waiting for the drive reports from the magazines!

pony542 said:
Yes they do weigh more. But sometime you have to define your customer, and build the car that they want. Most people will trade a few pounds of weight for added convience .... cause they ain't racing their cars, they're driving them, loving them, and in some cases almost living in them. If you want to pull that stuff out (along with the A/C, Radio, shift to carbon fiber panels ....etc) then your in a unique crowd that wont be satisfied with a mass produced vehicle.
But you are right, I dont remember ever seeing power windows at NASCAR. lol

I agree with you completely. Just pointing out in adavance what made happened 2 posts after mine. Someone wanted less power "options"

As far as the relying on the aftermarket. So many people have gone that route. Even the old muscles cars are hard to find with stock parts anymore. Edelbrock manifolds, Hooker headers, etc. All seem to be in such frequency that they nearly seem stock anymore. That it would be hard to really find a factory performance built car of most any model anymore. There haven't been any factory built performance cars that didn't have some aftermarket push in so long. That I don't remmeber the last one that came out.

I welcome radio controls on the wheel. I'm tall enough that I have the seat set all the way and in a slight recline. I have to lean forward just to shift. Honestly one reason I'm considering a Vett for my next car is the telescopic steering wheel. Bring them on.

2000 White Vert