Raised my own "bar" with new track and dyno numbers

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
Well, it was the 11's I had hoped for (I really never thought I'd see them anyway) but I did come home with a few new best. Overall it was one of the best days I have ever had at the track for many reasons. First off, I've been playing with my eec tuner again and Bob (rel3rd) had set up a dyno to be at the track for the race. It had rained all night on fri. so there was some down time before we started racing and no one was on the dyno, so I decided to strap the car down and tune it a little. The first pull totally shocked me. I had a tune in the car with timing tables Grady helped me set up, but I had the fuel settings in the car that I had run in my car for the last three years and that I had tuned on the dyno. Well, the results were 296.1rwhp/316.2rwtq SAE, but the car was VERY rich... I was in the 11:1 range from 4800-up. Bob was there helping me and he and I noticed the low TQ figures so I leaned the car out a little and put the timing tables back to stock and just used the global spark adder to add in a few extra degrees of timing. The next pull resulted in 299.0rwhp/329rwtq SAE, but the car was still too rich so I made one more pull leaning it just a tad more. The final results were: 304.3rwhp/331.1rwtq SAE!!! FINALLY I broke 300, and the TQ totally impressed me. Now onto the races...

SO, most of you know I've been having trouble getting the car into 2nd gear. I spent the last few weeks trying to fix it and all seemed well when I made the shifting videos last week... that was until thursday night when I was out on the highway making some "test runs" with the new eec tuner settings and found I couldn't get it into 2nd gear... and then 3rd started to act up too! I was like OH NO!!! I brought the car home and got under it to check the clutch cable, here it had about an 1/8" of slack in it, so I readjusted it and all was well again! having said all of that, i was still VERY nervous on my first pass about missing 2nd so I didn't go at it as hard as normal, but even so I made a GREAT first pass:
r/t.... .142
60'.... 1.665
330... 5.095
1/8... 7.891
MPH.. 87.70
1000. 10.298
1/4... 12.327
MPH.. 111.26

That was only 1 hundreth slower than my best previous time of a 12.31 and I beat my previous best MPH by .1mph. This was a good start! I made 3 more passes during the rest of the day (there were a TON of breakdowns). The results were as follows: (how about those RT's! I LOVE the LED system)
Run 2
r/t.... .099
60'.... 1.709
330... 5.067
1/8... 7.838
MPH.. 88.53
1000. 10.224
1/4... 12.237
MPH.. 111.92

Run 3 THE RUN
r/t.... .020
60'.... 1.669
330... 5.038
1/8... 7.806
MPH.. 88.62
1000. 10.187
1/4... 12.191
MPH.. 112.51
:banana:

Run 4
r/t.... .084
60'.... 1.754 I spun off the line
330... 5.096
1/8... 7.852
MPH.. 89.06
1000. 10.226
1/4... 12.232
MPH.. 112.46

SO there you have it. My new best RWHP numbers of 304/331SAE, and a new best 1/4 of 12.1 at 112.5. I know I could have run better if I could ahve hooked, but there were SO many breakdowns that there was now way to keep the heat in the track. Willie still has me, but I ran closer to him than I ever thought I would. I NEVER expected 112mph out of the car.

Also, I have to mention two other great things that happened yesterday. Some of you may know that my dad has a '91GT NA 302 mustang. It sports a holley systemax II kit ported by Ed Curtis with an FTI custom cam. Dad made only one run yesterday but it was his best ever... a 11.83 at 117mph with a low 1.7 60'. Unfortunately on his second run he dumped the clutch and that was all she wrote... the clutch is GONE, and I mean GONE. We had to help push the car up onto the trailer as it couldn't make it on by itself. We don't know how or why it failed as it did, but we will be tearing it down soon to see. But still, an 11.8 at 117mph in a 3350lb NA car that is still just a 302!?!? I'm more than impressed.

Also, my buddy Mike who goes by either DU302 or Mustangmike on different boards has an '01GT convertible 4.6l. The car is NA with just bolt-ons. Mike has been trying to break into the 12's for a while now and he finally did it yesterday. He ran a 12.90 at 105.Xmph!!! That REALLY impressed me concidering its a freaking 4.6L SOHC CONVERTIBLE with just bolt ons!!! It still has the stock upper intake on it!!!

I'll put up picks later...

• Sponsors (?)

Not bad when you can have a 1.7 r/t and say "I spun off the line"

Anyway, I dont think many guys around here EVER paid much attention to your Dyno's. Who cares when youre under 12.5. However, you CAN NOW say that you hit the 300 mark.

You gave me hope that when I trade in the blower for a 347 DSS long block with AFR's, Ill be able to make ride harder than my stock block with the blower.. One of the reasons (besides "lazy") that I havent run the car with the blower is that Ive seen too many guys here "blow things" by pushing hard on the stock block and 10+ lbs of boost.

It's ashame that I have a car decked out like mine with some power and always "afraid" to pust it b/c of messing something up :(

Congrats!
RC

Sounds like you had some "killer" track conditions going on...gotta love the cold weather.

Congrats on the new times once again Paul.

BTW...did you notice we have exactly the same dyno numbers SAE now? I need to get my car tuned with possibly a better flowing intake and get my launch down, then maybe I can start chasing you. And...I happened to weigh my car with no passenger seat, rear seat, and truck empty...3190lbs on an accurate scale. No excuses for now.

So tell us...what is left for you to do to hit 11's. You really have no reason not to NOT powership with your bulletproof driveline, that should be your first step ;)

nice

Very impressive and congratulations on your new times! I am curious as to what made you decide to go n/a over power adder? Im an engine noob but I notice you have ALOT of stuff done to your car, is 300 hp n/a the peak of our stock shortblocks?

Paul

I'm glad you made more power and lowered your times.

What did your final af ratio end up to be on the dyno?

I know you did not have enough time to try different things but I think you left some power on the table with the stock spark curve cause it does not get the total amount in quick enough IMHO.

I bet you can SMELL those 11's!!!

Good job!
Later
Grady

you the freakin man Paul. everytime i see your timeslips i get pissed. with all the stuff i have done to my car, my best has been a 2.5 60' and 12.91 pass. but i totally suck at launching. totally envy over here. congratulations on the new best. raisin the bar more as usual...

:cheers: :cheers: :worship: :whorship: :nice: :nice: :hail2: :hail2:

Dustin- mom does drag her car, but not that often. I know for a fact that had I run her car at cecil it'd have gone a 13.3 at 103 or better. She just came along and offered moral and video taping support! Her warrenty is up so she's itching to start the mods now.

ARed1995GT- Don't worry, I'm not done until I run 11's NA. Its been my goal for a long time now, even though Willy already did it. I didn't think the car had it in it before... I'm starting to think otherwise now! And no, I do not powershift it. I am going to start working on fixing that though!

Jason- I'm running 4-5yr old 26X10.5X16 ET streets on stock 16X7 "waffle" wheels. I was leaving at ~4500rpms. I need to work on the rear suspension next as its squating too much and it then unloads and spins the tires. This was never a problem when running on drag radials as I slipped the clutch and didn't "shock" the car with a fast hard hit of power. Slipping it would yield a nice controlled weight transfer... the front would rise slowly and the tires would stay planted. But now that I have a clutch that will hold a HARD launch, I'm moving up to side stepping it and its not working evry well. My suspension is ALL STOCK except for GW LCA's.

jghood13- I don't know, it could have been the tune, more seat time, etc. I knew when I ran the 12.31 that the car had a 12 teen in it, the only problem was that the next time I ran it I forgot my wheel lock and had to run on my nitto's and the clutch was slipping bad by that point. This was my first trip back to that track since running the 12.31 with a good clutch and my ET streets on.

BlueOvalStangGT- Thanks! As for dad... I couldn't be more happy for him. I've always been just one step behind him. When I was running 13.8 at 98, he was running 13.6 at 99... when I ran 12.7 he ran a 12.6... now he runs 11.8 at 117mph and I'm at a 12.1 at 112. I see I'm starting to fall farther and farther behind him now. I'm just glad he's finally where we set the car up to run like 2yrs ago. He wanted mid-high 11's at 115+mph on the motor. Given his horrid 1.72 60' on his 11.8 run, mid 11's are there with a bit more traction and I know he would have had it if he had more than one pass yesterday.

Charlie- don't worry buddy, I'm even more motivated now!!!

RC- If you are afraid to break STAY AWAY FROM THE TRACK. That's the best thing you can do because you will hold back and dissapointed in your times. Your car is your DD right? I never really talked about my dyno numbers before because they weren't that special and didn't indicate the true "power" of my combo. I hope to get my dyno graphs scanned tomorrow as I want to show you all my graph... I'm VERY impressed by the way it looks.

94DreamGT- I didn't notice that until now that our numbers are the same. Given your weight and based on the dyno numbers, there's no reason why you couldn't run 11's NA right now with traction. As for me and what I left to do.... well, suspension and weigh lose seem like the next move for me. The car is squating too much and when the suspension unloads it spins the tires. If I can swing it I'd like to get a full tubular K member setup, but that is big $$$ and I don't have anything left in the car fund at this time. :mad:

ponypowa2- I went NA because at the time the car was my DD and I didn't want the hassle that sometimes comes along with boost.

Grady- my A/F was still rich and in the 12:1 area and I agree whole heartedly that there is more power on tap. I just didn't want to spend a fortune on the dyno and it was more power than I ever had before. Normally I get 8+ runs at this event, but this year there was a lot of breakage so I only got 4 runs in. My original plan was to make a few passes and then lean it out some more, but when it went 12.19 at 112.5MPH I wasn't touching it. I'll be back there in the spring and I have all winter to "play" with the tuner. I GREATLY appreciate your help and I will be hitting you up for more if you don't mind. I wish I would have had more time on the dyno to try the timing settings you gave me, I will try it again though.

ProKiller- Thanks man! Traction is ALL you need and you'll be in the 11's with the power you have on tap.

As for everyone else, THANKS for the compliments, I truely appreciate it. ALl I wanted to do yesterday was make it home and post this up so you guys could see it. I want MORE of you guys with similar power to me to start running sub 12.5 times. Many of you have the power for it, now "GET 'ER DONE!"

Those et streets actually measure close to 11 inches..don't they? With them being on a 7" rim...you aren't utilizing the full contact patch. Also, what psi...tire could be folding over itself. Just some thoughts for you. Front swaybar still attached?