Ran the dyno, had problems, got crappy numbers.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
I went to NEDT today with NEBOC and ran the dyno. My best numbers were on my third run, where I hit 258 RWHP and 281 RWTQ. My timing was set at 22*BTDC on this run, and my fuel pressure was at 41 PSI, as they has been since the motor was finished. I don't know how the car even ran with that timing. The car also ran really rich, with an air to fuel ratio of like 11.5-12/1. After that run, we tried to bump the timing, and it detonated so bad the dyno operator heard it through his ear muffs. After that, it took three runs to reign in the timing, where it finally ended up at 20*. We turned down the fuel pressure, and my a/f ratio came up to 13/1, which was cool with me. After I got home, my friend gave me a 76mm Pro-M MAF to try. I put it on, took the car for a ride, and it detonated like a mofo. We ended up dropping the timing to approx. 15* BTDC, and now the car is an absolute animal. It pulls harder, faster, and longer than before with no detonation in sight. It kinda sucks that I wasted a whole dyno day on a bad tune setup, because now I know the car has more umph, nad it was capable of more up at NEDT. Needless to say I will be buying the MAF from him, but I'm just trying to guesstimate how much power I'm planting now, because I know my old numbers are junk. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

It was the really bad tune I had going on. The GT40/Explorer intake should support the breathing capabilities of my heads and cam. I should be around 275-180 according to most people, and my torque should be way up...

Dont worry man. When i first got my TFS H/C/I together i only pulled 272 hp and 283 tq. I did tuning and played with things and i am sure it went up. I was running 103 mph traps when i dynoed and now run 109 mph traps. I havent dynoed since then though.

Why were you running so much timing? The computer adds to the base timing under load, and rarely can iron head combos get by with more than 14-16 base timing without detonation issues. What was it doing up around 20-22?

I don't know mike, but it was running 22* with no problem. I think that it was so damn rich (11/1 A/F ratio), and the MAF was choking my breathing, that it couldn't detonate if it wanted to, until I went to 24+* timing. Now, with the 76mm MAF and the fuel pressure turned down, I am running 15* clean. Before if I turned it down, the car died. We never got a chance to really tune the car after we finished the motor, that's part of why I went to the dyno, but I didn't get much time before pulls to mess with it.