Rats Nest Under The Hood

Ivan A

May 26, 2004
Can anyone tell me what vacuum lines I need to run my 85 gt. Its a rats nest of pipes vales solenoids and who knows what else. I had a look at the vacuum line diagram under the hood but I think the guy who designed it would struggle to explain what it all does. So I am thinking that a clean sweep is the way ahead and I need to know what has to stay.

So far i reckon i need to keep-

1.Brake Servo
2.Distributor advance
3 ?? Anything I have missed?

You may be wondering how I plan to work everything else - well

PCV will either vent to atmosphere, or feed into the exhaust where the air pump used to supply.
Fuel tank vent will go to atmosphere up near the filler flap - will add a filter to be safe.

Any help - comments would be appreciated. i would like to be able to look under the hood and know what every pipes function is plus get rid of the mess of hose. Cheers. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

What year is your car? Is it EFI or carbed? If you have AC or heat, some of those small hoses up near the firewall go to the vacuum controls in the dash. Best thing to do is mark all of the stuff you take off with tape, and only do a little at a time. That way you can put it back if it effects operation.

I pulled the lot last night. No problems with running either plus it looks a lot tidier. I took the carbon cans off and the egr lines. There was a line from under the dash which I think must be air con related but since I dont have aircon its not a problem.

I have a carb, so I was just careful to plug any ports to the manifold/carb that I had opened to atmosphere, and I made sure the dizzy vacuum advance and brake servo are still hooked up.

:banana: