Re0installing timing chain cover; a few "help" questions:

jaymac

Feb 18, 2004
Northern Mass
Hey guys, like the title says.
1.) I'm having a hard time keeping the rubber part of the oil pan gasket in place while I put the cover back on. Any tips? it keeps either falling in or sticking out... isn't it supposed to be right on the outside egde, as opposed to inside the groove on the bottom of the cover?
2.) I can't seem to figure out which bolts go through the alignment dowel holes? What length should I be looking for?
3.) I think I might have to take the cover off and re-gasket tomorrow anyway, as when I stopped today (ran out of sunlight), I still couldn't get the cork corner gasket hiles to line up to put the bolts back in, as they kept sliding too.
Again, any tips? I used Motorcraft silicone (grey).

For those of youwho are aware of my broken bolt situation, I'll post about it later (long story)
Right now, I gotta go to bed :sleep:

• Sponsors (?)

I usually loosen up some of the oil pan bolts on the front end of the pan, those that I can get to, so that I can get some play with the pan and make it easier to get that gasket to seat. Otherwise it can be a pain, as you have found out.

My favorite trick that saves time and effort is the stay in place gasket. Be sure that you scrape (don't use a wire brush) all the old gasket material off, then clean all the surfaces with acetone or MEK.
When the surfaces are clean, use weather strip adhesive on the pan. Follow the instructions on the tube or can and when it gets tacky, press the gasket down in place.

Thanks Joe, I got the 3M super weatherstrip adhesive; looks like it could do the trick.
I also picked up the Ultra Black RTV, as it says it has "outstanding oil resistance", and I figured that's where I'll be using it... Is that OK, or is Blue better?
Thanks for the help!

I used contact cement to hold the paper gasket in place,then clear silcone on the ends on the pan seal.I also put a little on the bottom corners on the timing cover.

Make sure the front pan seal stays inplace while your putting it on.You got ot kinda push down on it while lighty hammering it with a rubber mallet or something.Once you get it on both dowls it shouldnt pop off and you can get your bolts on.Oh,and the bolts that go in the dowled holes are longer ones.