Really stupid coolant question...

MyEarsHurt

May 21, 2004
Okay, my headswap is done, everything is in place, ready to fire it up, but I have not added the coolant yet. Do I just need to fill the coolant reservoir and then keep filling it while the car runs? I have never drained a coolant system before, so I have no idea what to do now that there is zero coolant in the engine. Should I pour some coolant into the block through the crossover on the intake, and then fill up the coolant reservoir too? Maybe its just a stupid question, but I need some help on how to do it right...dont want and hiccups on start up

• Sponsors (?)

After you fill and run the car (warmed up), let it cool completely...massage the upper and lower hose with the reservoir cap on and off (front end elevated). Top off reservoir with fluid. This will help fill the block completely and remove air. Do this a couple of times to be sure.

what i usually do is fill the overflow bottle. and while the engine warms up i bring the engine rpms up too 2500 or so. this will break up the air pockets in the heads and heater core.

DO not just fill and go. it's going too to take a little while of bleeding too get it all out. and without one of cooling system fill machines the only way too get the air out is the way i mentioned. be ready with more coolant because as the air pockets are pushed out the coolant level will drop.

have the heat on high blowing out the vent when you have good heat at idle recheck the level and put the cap on. recheck again after you drive it in case of more air int he system.