rear bumper question

mach1one

Boulevard Bruiser
Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Living in the past
My rear bumper currently looks like this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68037&d=1231022655

I'm a bit confused on my options on how to cover up the holes in my bumper. I found this rear bumper "pad kit" for 73 bumpers shown below but I'm not sure if it's the correct part.

https://www.paddockparts.com/Paddoc...alse&mscssid=054590B97CF4E494E98EF70D7A1571A7

That's almost the price of a new bumper. I'm having a hard time judging by pictures but am I better off buying a new bumper? It looks like the 73 rear bumpers picture in catalogs don't need the padding, but I'm not sure.

Just wondering if the padding is all I need, or if I should just buy a bumper that doesnt need the padding. If they exist.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, that is the correct kit for the 73 rear bumper. Even if you buy it, your troubles are not over. The 73 rear bumper, whether it had the rubber strips or not, had bumper guards. The rubber strips are no doubt moulded to fit with the bumper guards you don't have, which means there will be gaps in those two places. Unless you want to keep going and go "correct", get a 71-72 rear bumper. It will have no holes at all, except the four needed to attach the bumper brackets.

1973:
BJPS-1973Convertible-2.jpg

This 1973 has the 71-72 bumper on it:
Mach1-2.jpg

I would put the smooth bumper with out the holes on it. It looks sleek.

Thats cool, you found an image of a car like his with that bumper on it. He can see exactly what it will look like.