rear head smog plugs?

Matts89Notch

Jan 26, 2007
I went out and bought 2 5/8-11 1" bolts and they werent even close. They were way too big. I could barly fit the tip of my pinky in the hole and the bolts were too big.

The car sound really bad and the exhaust pours out the back of the heads...what size is needed to plug it up?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

you can use the bolts you took out of it. all i did was cut that tube off about 1 inch before the hole, then squished the round tube real good, than welded the crack just to make sure it dident leak.

+1 on wrong hole idea. there is a smaller threaded hole that does not pass through the heads, and is used to mount the tubing only. beside this is a larger hole, that may not seem threaded at first due to buildup, but it is. i'm pretty sure 5/8-11tpi bolts are what i used on mine also.

Yeah, there are a few holes in the back of the head - I think 2 or 3...

The biggest one is the one you need to 'fill' and put silicone on the threads or similar.

This the 'cleanest' way to install them, but it can be a bit more difficult with the heads on the car:

Ford Thermactor Plug - F4ZZ-6E086-A
Trickflow Thermactor Plug - TFS-51400265

I know I'm not crazy and trust me I always know which hole is right....:D
I had the car started just to make sure and put my hand behind the head.....I could feel the exhaust pouring out, then had my gf kill the car. Then I tried to put the bolt in.....no go. The only thing that I can think of is that there is a lot of build up.....I'll try to clean it up and retry tomorrow morn....

Thanks for the help guys:flag: :flag:

Clean the hole out with some brake cleaner/degreaser spray...something that will spray hard on it to 'blow' it away while it cleans...

Then get the bolt and try it, and if not stop by the dealership and get the thermactor plugs (part number above)...

Good Luck.