Rear Wheel Bearings in 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

You have to remove the rear axles, in order to change the bearings. It's not all that hard. I did it.

www.50resto.com probably has some. I got some with my 5-lug conversion kit.

In order to remove the bearings, you need a slide hammer, which you can rent from a Kragen auto parts store, usually. Or maybe you can buy one.

As far as whether it really is your bearing that's making the noise, I have no idea. I'm not an expert in that subject.

Does the clunking occur only when you are braking?

Does it occur when you are going slowly?

Does it occur when you are going fast?

Based on my shade-tree mechanic experience, "clunking" noises from the rear is usually a gear (ring/pinion) problem; bearings usually make "whining" noises.
It can also have nothing to do with the rear-end; could be within the suspension.

Ghost001 said:
You have to remove the rear axles, in order to change the bearings. It's not all that hard. I did it.

www.50resto.com probably has some. I got some with my 5-lug conversion kit.

In order to remove the bearings, you need a slide hammer, which you can rent from a Kragen auto parts store, usually. Or maybe you can buy one.

As far as whether it really is your bearing that's making the noise, I have no idea. I'm not an expert in that subject.

Does the clunking occur only when you are braking?

Does it occur when you are going slowly?

Does it occur when you are going fast?

It occurs all the time. I can mostly only here it went i put it in neutral, and also in neutral n braking cuz the exhaust is'nt loud then.

Ghost001 said:
Does the clunking noise get faster in frequency, when you are going faster?

Does it slow down when the car slows down?

In other words, is there a "clunk" every time the rear wheel rotates?

Yes the clunking noise goes with the speed like when your about to stop completely u hear it go real slow. and i can only hear it wen im going fast in neutral and when there are either cars or something so the sound reflects off of. Yes, and i believe there is a clunk everytime the rear wheel rotates but not completely sure.

Well, I was thinking that, if it only happened when you were braking, then it may be a brake-related problem.

But, if it happens when you're not applying the brakes, then I guess it's not brake-related.

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on this subject, but I'm sure there are some experts on this forum. If you keep this thread alive long enough, I'll bet some other people will be able to help you.

I just had one of mine replaced recently.
Jack up the rear of the car and see if there is any up and down play with the wheel.When my car was on the hoist you could quickly push up on the bottom of the wheel and hear that "clunk" .They have an "offset bearing" you can get that positions the bearing differently on the axle(just in case of any wear on the axle)

slowbubba said:
Based on my shade-tree mechanic experience, "clunking" noises from the rear is usually a gear (ring/pinion) problem; bearings usually make "whining" noises.
It can also have nothing to do with the rear-end; could be within the suspension.

Agreed here. A wore bearing won't clunk, at least I've never heard them clunk. They'll have a constant humming noise which will drive you crazy until you replace it.

savegoodautonfg said:
OK then if it's not the bearing what could it be?

it's not a loud clunk/clicking noise just an annoying low one.

You first need to weed out the unknowns. Does it just do it in neutral or certain gears? I would have someone stay in the rear, jack the end up and listen. Best bet to find out where it's coming from. It may be from the rear end or just some thing that's loose. You could pull the drums and check everything there, but I just haven't heard of a bearing making a clunk noise before.

savegoodautonfg said:
Not the drums already checked those out. it only does it when im driving so its impossible to let someone listen in the rear.
Block the front wheels and jack up the rear. Place the axles on jack stands and start the car. Put it in first and slowly let out the clutch till it idles in first and one of the wheels are turning. Go to the back and listen for the sound. Before doing this but, while it's on the jack stands, check the driveshaft bolts and make sure everything is thight.

also check your tires i had a roofing paper steel tack in one of my tires before and it made a sorta clicking sound every time the tire rotated it and it was only heard when the sound bounced off objects as you stated....

fidstang said:
Block the front wheels and jack up the rear. Place the axles on jack stands and start the car. Put it in first and slowly let out the clutch till it idles in first and one of the wheels are turning. Go to the back and listen for the sound. Before doing this but, while it's on the jack stands, check the driveshaft bolts and make sure everything is thight.
Sounds like this is the best bed.

Jason