Rear Thumping Sound

Hey, 16 years old and working on a 1967 Mustang. Has a 351 Cleveland 4 carb. Was driving around and began hearing a loud thumping sound from the rear driver side that speeds up and slows with the wheel rotations. Went back and checked to see if there was a rock or something lodged in a brake housing or close to the rear axle, and nothing. Thinking it could be a worn down ball bearing inside of the axle. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

try to get a video with audio.....but that sounds like a flat spot or bubble in the tire ....I've had that happen to me on all 4 corners as the car sits in the garage for long periods and when it did happen to me the tires were pretty old.

If it were bearings I would think it would sound like a roar ....at least that is how bad bearings sound to me in my 350z

Time to evaluate, first Jack up the car so rear tires are up. Now spin that tire and listen and look for the issue.
If nothing looks out of place and you don't hear any noise then swap rear tire with front tire to see if the problem follows.
If it's making noise in front then it's the tire/rim.

Try this and get back to us.
Good luck young buck.

Reactions: 1 user