Rebuild vs Crate Motor

Reed

Mar 31, 2005
BC, Canada
Hey everyone, I've just finished some suspension stuff and was talking with my dad about what to do with my engine. I was originally planning to rebuild my engine with this and that, but knowing that things constantly break in these cars and that I'm pretty short tempered, my dad suggested a crate motor.

Basically this won't happen until next year, but I want to work out a plan. I am able to rebuild the engine since I don't drive the car all the time, but I have no experience doing it.

What it really all boils down to is which is going to end up being cheaper?
http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/302smallblock.asp
I was looking at one of the two first engines there, they both have more power than I was originally aiming for. What are your opinions and experiences?

• Sponsors (?)

I had the money for a rebuild last year and was in the same dilemma...

I never followed through with any of it but I was gonna go with a Crate Motor. It just makes sense these days they're almost as cheap as a rebuild, and all 100% new parts :)

Think of all of the effort and chips in the bricks of your house you'll save from projectile tools that you've thrown in anger :shrug:

I would go eith short or long block.

I have had all the parts to build my engine in the garage (machined, ballanced, etc) sitting in my garage for a while now and I still haven't put the MF'er together. It'd be way cheaper to just buy one that is done.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am really starting to like the idea of a crate motor. It would not be too hard to save up the money quickly, let alone for next summer. Living in Canada, shipping different parts here and there sometimes burns a hole in the pocket, plus I have no experience building an engine.

All I'd need to add is an intake and little odds and ends I suppose. The price is comparable after having your block cleaned, parts balanced, things assembled, etc, etc though yes?