Releasing Fuel pressure

nickjc

Mar 24, 2006
I am going to change out injectors on my 01GT. I need to release the fuel pressure prior to removing the fuel rail. Can someone who has done it give me an edge on to safely do it?

• Sponsors (?)

yes, stock rails should have a schrader valve. You can use the hose off a bicycle pump. A hardware store might have a pump repair kit you could use as well.

If it sits overnight the pressure should bleed down on it's own.

Greenbird said:
If it sits overnight the pressure should bleed down on it's own.

Yep. My 04 has no shrader valve, so I just slept on it and popped the rails off the next day. Some fuel will still "blurb" out even when the pressure is fully released - wear eye protection and have a few shop towels ready to mop up the intake manifold :nice:

The schrader valve is on the passenger side fuel rail on my '01. Use a small screw driver and some shop towels to catch the fuel. Just press the valve until nothing comes out, it takes all of 10 seconds. Like someone said, when you pop the rails off, have towels ready because fuel will still come out(duh).

hmmm inertia relay good idea forgot about that, I usually just get under the car and pull the power connector from the fuel pump. Crank and her she runs for 3 mins and dies, sucks 90% of the gas out of the rails, very painless.