Replace AC compressor yourself?

SlowRider

Nov 11, 2003
Boca Raton, FL
I need to replace my AC compressor. :mad: My freon level is also very low if not depleted. My question is can I replace it myself or is this something that has to be done by a shop? I am pretty handy with tools but have never had to deal with a broken AC. Is there any documentation on how to do it?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How do you know the compressor has failed? Is it making a lot of noise when it runs, or has someone detected a freon leak at the shaft seal?

You can change it yourself, but will probably have to go to an auto A/C shop afterward to have the system purged of air and moisture, then recharged with freon.

n0v8or said:
How do you know the compressor has failed? Is it making a lot of noise when it runs, or has someone detected a freon leak at the shaft seal?

You can change it yourself, but will probably have to go to an auto A/C shop afterward to have the system purged of air and moisture, then recharged with freon.

Yeah, what he said. :) There's no reason you can't do the mechanical work, but its illegal to release freon in the atmosphere, so you're suppossed to take it to a A/C shop and have them pump whatever is in the system out before you take it apart. And then like said above after you put it together they need to purge it.

n0v8or said:

I am figuring that it is the compressor because the car runs fine but as soon as I turn on the defrosters or AC, the car sputters and has a hard time staying at an idle. If I turn either on at highway speeds, I get a burning smell coming through my vents. I don't know much about the AC system so maybe it is something else :shrug:

i got ass raped this summer on replacing my AC compressor.......$1000 :bang: :bang:

Like the others said, the mechanical part should be do-able, but u will have to take it to a shop to have the remaining freon pumped out, then after the install of the new compressor have them purge it and recharge it with freon. I wanted to do this on my own, but the price difference wasnt too much. Compressors cost a lot :notnice:

if you do it yourself you still have to go to a shop and have the system sucked down, checked for leaks and refilled. no matter what you need to replace your 1.dryer 2. oriface tube/line 3. compressor all at once(trust me it gives you a warranty and ensures your new investment.). I just did my friends 96 gt at my old shop.

went to ford and bought all new oem parts and pag oil to put in the compressor - used the full can. if you do it wrong you will seize the new compressor. no stress or anyting =p

my friend gave me **** about the oriface tube so i cut it apart and it was completely clogged. no he trusts me and the 50 extra bucks i made him spend. my day of labor would have been wasted had i not replaced all 3 components.

I know this is an old thread but just a shot. Should I replace the condenser an lines or will flushing clear it all out
Now it's an even older thread, but still the top search result on Google.

I thought I could get by flushing and filling on a 3000GT I had. Turned out the silica pack inside the dryer had broken open and ended up wiping out the whole system when it pumped all the pellets through, clogging the evaporator, etc.

So maybe, but it's worth the extra money to replace the dryer, like is recommended.

Also, re: paying a shop to vacuum down and refill with freon anyway costing the same amount, you can borrow the vacuum pump from O'Reilly for free and buy a cheap set of gauges and a few cans of R134a and still be under $100. With the cost of a compressor and dryer at around $150 and $100 or so, you're still $350 vs $1000 doing it yourself, when the hardest part of the thing is removing the battery and the belt.