Replaced O2's, Cleaned MAF. Idle Still Sucks.

brentwoodboy

Nov 25, 2002
Brentwood, TN
My idle searches from about 600-800 rpm. My most recent mod is the off-road H. Do I have an exhaust leak? I have a CE light also, but my car will not connext and give codes to any scanner :( . TPS has been replaced also. Any guesses?

PS. CE light comes on after warm up, but my 02's are brand new... :(

• Sponsors (?)

brentwoodboy said:
My idle searches from about 600-800 rpm. My most recent mod is the off-road H. Do I have an exhaust leak? I have a CE light also, but my car will not connext and give codes to any scanner :( . TPS has been replaced also. Any guesses?

PS. CE light comes on after warm up, but my 02's are brand new... :(

My car does the same thing but I don't know what the heck it is. Does miss at all??

I would figure out how to get the codes, since you definitely have something going on there. You don't need a scanner, you can also do it with a paperclip (do a search). Have you gone to autozone -- they'll pull the codes for free...

You're Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor may be shot (tells the computer your engine is cold/hot when its not!). They get lazy over the years....just enough to screw up your idle, but not enough out of range to set off your CEL.

Cheers.

I had a similar problem. I cleaned my MAF and replaced my O2 sensors and my TPS. Turned out that my old but newly cleaned MAF was still faulty, so I threw in a brand new one and it fixed the idle 100%. A new stock MAF is only 50-60 bucks, so it might be something to consider. Good luck.

I also had the same problem and i wound up being a bad TPS (this was at 66K miles). This was when I first bought my car so I had the dealership fix it b/c I didn't know much about the car. For the $275 they charged me for a new TPS I could have bought a Ford Racing 65mm T-body which comes with a new TPS, just some food for thought.