Replacement fan w/ clutch

other_shoe

May 4, 2007
I'm thinking about replacing my fan so that I can have one with a clutch on my 67 with the 289.

As best I can tell there are three stock-like options. First, I could buy a used seven blade off of ebay. Second, for less than half that price I could get a six blade replacement from NPD (17 inch) or Glazier Nolan (18 inch).

I'd much appreciate you all sharing your thoughts and experiences about any of the above choices.

• Sponsors (?)

2+2, is there an advantage to the 17 inch over the 18?

And are there any reasons to go with the six blade beyond availability and expense?

a) Clearance. If you are using the stock 20" 67 radiator and stock shroud, I think you'll need the 17".

b) No, the 6-blade is comparable, although the 7 probably moves more air, the cost of an original 7 blade OEM fan is considerably higher.

I did this on my 71 and discovered the geometry of the fans are different. The fan clutch was positioned closer to the motor. Apparently, to move as much air as possible it is best to have the fan closer to the rad. I ordered a spacer from summitt racing . They have a huge selection of different spacers. Also picked up the appropriate length bolts from the local hardware store. This setup moved the fan closer to the rad and it seems to work great now.

I did this on my 71 and discovered the geometry of the fans are different. The fan clutch was positioned closer to the motor. Apparently, to move as much air as possible it is best to have the fan closer to the rad. I ordered a spacer from summitt racing . They have a huge selection of different spacers. Also picked up the appropriate length bolts from the local hardware store. This setup moved the fan closer to the rad and it seems to work great now.

Proximity to the radiator matters only if there is no fan shroud. If you have a shroud, and you should, the fan should be centered in the opening both ways, in the circle, and exactly in/out the circular part.

Next car show, check out the Corvettes. The radiator is slanted, so the fan is no where near the radiator, but it is centered in the fan shroud.

Other_shoe...I have a stock fan w/clutch that worked great I pulled off of my 67 air conditioned car if you are interested. I would have to go measure it for the diameter, but whatever came on a factory air car.

Just so you know the fan I have is a 6 blade measures 17.5" accross and has a proper clutch on it, thats all. I opted for an electric fan with a thermal switch and a pressure switch from my a/c.