replacing plastic outer door handles.

p.exeter_bleu

Founding Member
Jan 6, 2002
El Paso,TX
any tips on how to do this? and whats required? as of now i only have the replacement metal handles, i have heard that some use screws and some use rivets, how can i tell which one i will need? if i do need rivets where can i get some? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

For a quality door handle go with BBK and not some of the slightly cheaper ones from others that save you $5 but make it feel like crap everytime you open your door. They cost about half as much as Ford but dont come with 50 cent rivets.

ok the door handles i got i got off of ebay from an autoparts store, they did not come with rivets, and i dont know where to buy them if i need them. unfortunately i cant take a look at my car since it is in El Paso,tx and i'm here at school in lubbock, tx. i just wanted to have an idea of what would be involved and what i have to look forward to when un-installing the old ones, and installing the new ones. thanks for the help, keep it coming.

srothfuss said:
Doesn't 5.0 Resto sell a door handle install kit with the rivet gun and everything?

Yeah, but their handles don't fit worth a crap. They work fine, but look terrible because they stand out too far from the door and one end sticks out farther than the other. I would rather have my old plastic ones back.

I just replaced one of mine this past weekend... I used the handles from 5.0 resto, and they came with rivits. but MY GOODNESS you have to have a GIANT rivit gun to install them. SO i did the next best thing. I used stainless steel 1/4 in bolts...with lock washers, washers and nuts.

I just drilled them out thru the center of the old rivets, then removed the door panel, speaker grille, the inner review mirror cover plate on the door, and the inner water sheild. From there its a breeze........get yourself two 7/16" end wrenchs and bolt it up. You'll have to slide the new handle over the old rod in the door. Bolt it up then your done. If you want use double nuts on the backs to keep them from falling off....i used double nuts along with lock washers.
good luck!

89stangWhiz said:
really? But I have that door handle kit from 50 Resto waiting to go on my car in my room! You mean I should consider buying a different pair first?
.....but ive gotten so many great quality parts from 50 resto!

I bought mine about a year ago, so they may have changed them by now. See if you can compare them to an unmounted Ford handle. The holes line up with the holes in the door, but the part between the handle and the door is too long and uneven. This makes the handle stick way out and the front sticks out farther than the back. It is klike that on both sides. I am going to replace them with another brand soon.

89stangWhiz said:
dang...i bought mind a year ago too, but never got around to putting them on before i left for school.
where else sells door handles? I am having trouble finding a vendor, like for the above mentioned bbk handles. Thanks for any help in the right direction

If I were you I would take a close look at them and try to compare them to another handle. Yours may be fine. Maybe I just got a bum set. If they look bad, check with www.performancepartsinc.com. I have had good luck with their parts.

I have replaced mine but used carriage bolts instead of the rivets.
A carriage bolt has a square shank. It takes some time, but if you use a file to square out the holes in the handle, the bolt will not be able to spin in the hole. A lock washer and nyloc nut is all that is needed on the inside. The finished product is actually cleaner/smoother than the factory rivets. Only cost a couple of bucks at the hardware store.

jason

my handles came from drautoparts.com, they seem pretty solid to me, but im not sure if theyre bigger than the stockers or not. is this a rather quick project? i will only be in town for a couple of days and i want to get the handles out of the way rather quickly so i can get the most drive time out of it. what tools should i have ready to go? thanks again.

drill motor, phillips screw driver, socket to fit arm rest if you remove the door panel (which you will have too)....from there it depends on how you plan to attach the new handles.......bolts...= 7/16" end wrench (x2)

figure about 25-30 min each if you have good luck....if not figure about 2 hours total!
good luck
Jack