Right Bank Of Dummy Lights Not Working

Hwystar1

5 Year Member
Jul 11, 2017
when I put the key on to accessories the right bank of lights do not light up. I checked the fuses and none were blown. The traction control light does not light up but the overdrive lock out works even though the light doesn’t come on. I have the factory stero in still and it appears there has been no cutting of any wires under the drivers side dash. Any advise would be helpful. I have no issues accoicated with these lights out I think, lol
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

There is more than one ground connection to the cluster. If this were my car I would CONFIRM that all cluster black wires and black wires with a white stripe have a solid path back to battery negative. First test the resistance with a Volt-Ohm meter then next confirm with a voltage drop test.

Here's some information on how to perform voltage drop tests.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

While the cluster is out, test the light bulbs as it is possible for the actual light bulbs to be burned out. They are replaceable.

Finally here's some information on printed circuit foil trace repair that may apply to you.

Cluster PC foil trace repair.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/304608-my-odometer-goes-off.html#2657361

There is more than one ground connection to the cluster. If this were my car I would CONFIRM that all cluster black wires and black wires with a white stripe have a solid path back to battery negative. First test the resistance with a Volt-Ohm meter then next confirm with a voltage drop test.

Here's some information on how to perform voltage drop tests.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...perform-charging-system-voltage-drop-test.56/

While the cluster is out, test the light bulbs as it is possible for the actual light bulbs to be burned out. They are replaceable.

Finally here's some information on printed circuit foil trace repair that may apply to you.

Cluster PC foil trace repair.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/304608-my-odometer-goes-off.html#2657361

Well I finally got my GT over to my mechanic today and he ran a diagnostic on the system and found the GEM module had some error codes and they affected the dummy lights and a system that would prevent the battery from fully draining. His response to me was I wouldn’t worry about it and we’re going to let it slide for now. Overall I was quite nervous about what the diagnostic was going to throw as additional error codes and once again I was pleasantly surprised, the Stang is solid

Reactions: 1 user
The dummy lights I could live with but the battery draining sounds like a PITA. So the Module is bad? Why not just replace it, expensive to do so?

Reactions: 1 user
Well I finally got my GT over to my mechanic today and he ran a diagnostic on the system and found the GEM module had some error codes and they affected the dummy lights and a system that would prevent the battery from fully draining. His response to me was I wouldn’t worry about it and we’re going to let it slide for now. Overall I was quite nervous about what the diagnostic was going to throw as additional error codes and once again I was pleasantly surprised, the Stang is solid

The module is about $500 and labor
I also can live without the dummy lights. The battery drain only got me once since I have owned this vert. It sat 2 weeks covered. I only use the car as a member of my “weekend fleet” but when used each weekend I have not even experenced a slow start from the battery. I also have one touch down drivers window that is also affected by this module, sometimes it works, lol. I am hoping the battery thing is also sporadic. I was more pleased the scan didn’t throw more Codes then it did. All other systems are solid, traction control, abs etc...........
Now I can put that 500 towards tint and paint!
Have a nice day
Hwystar1

I don't buy that the non-functional idiot cluster lights are being caused by a GEM problem. Why? Because the Cluster performs a "lamp test" at initial key on. Therefore IF the lamps do not light up during the lamp test it's either because they are burned out (it does happen) or there's another problem (see PC foil trace repair).

There may be other problems with the GEM. In fact if you have a battery drain issue there's a good chance the GEM is involved.

The other possibility is that the ignition switch is not turning off. The cluster needs to see the ignition switch power to go out to reset everything. I could see how this could cause the lamp test to not run and the battery to drain.