Royal Purple

Stang2003GT

Jul 7, 2003
I did the swap today. I jacked my car up got under it and started to look for the drain holes and what not and got pissed very quicky. So I took it to a Mobil center. Man they got oil everywere under my filter, they didnt clean it at all. Then they put the transmisson oil in (TR3650) and they used all 4 quarts of Royal Purple. From what I been told it takes about 3.2-3.5 quarts and if u fill it to the recommended it sould come out the fill hole. Well the guy said he could stick his finger in there and touch the oil so its a bit low. Low with 4 quarts in it. Then he did the rearend and put about 2.25 quarts in it.

Im abit dissappointed, for $200($95 labor + $100 oils/Filter) the transmission doesnt shift any better and the clunk is sill there. As for the Dyno tested 10 hp at the wheels I dont think that was totally true. I think Royal Purple payed the HP TV shows to put out those results. I could just be hard to please.

6 qts Royal Purple 5-20w
4 qts Royal Purple Sync-Max
2.25 qts RP Gear-max
1 bottle of royal purple radiator additive (Do I just put this in my overflow as is?)
THE NEW FRPP OIL FILTER (Which I watched the guy put on with old oil on the seal!!!!!!)

• Sponsors (?)

I never noticed anything from Royal Purple in my motor, I thought it was a waste of money. I hated the way my motor felt with it in it, so I took it out before the 3k miles and put the Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic blend back in and haven't looked back

It is normal for oil to leak down on the a-arm and steering rack when removing the oil filter. This is the reason I do my own oil changes, I use heavy duty aluminum foil to channel the oil into the pan instead of all over the underside of the car.

Oil is not a performance mod. But it is good that you got some fresh fluids in your car anyway.

always mobil 1 for the oil.......but i used the royal purple for the tranny...........fine by me..:shrug: :shrug:

and as far as hp gain.......if you were that pissed.......how about when they tell ya.......10-12 for cai....or 20 for catbacks......

Seriously im about to flip. Just now I had to go jump a firends car and my headlight seal blew off my ****ing car!!!!!! ARRRGGGGG

Im saving about 400 dollars to buy a chip and now Im thinking of not doing any mods because I wont ever feel it.

I love my mustang but modding it is insane. A few hundred dollars slowly invested in a car is worthless. You eather buy a 5 to 8 thousand dollar Supercharger or buy a faster car stock that doesnt need tuning. I guess thats why they have a Mach 1 and a Cobra.

Gears seem cool but I need highway and the only way to make a stock car faster with out adding to the motor is gears. :(

I really want to sell this fuel injected POS and get a 1985 mustang with a carb 302.

Uncle Meat said:
Royal Purple = Snake Oil.

That's why you don't see any of the top racing teams use it. If it was really worth 10 extra HP the professional race teams would be all over that chit.

U.M.

What does Snake Oil mean? Just regular oil that tricks peoples into thinking it better?

Doesnt anyone watch those spike TV shows? Check out RP homepage they claim more power. They also have those videos.

Also Royal Purple isnt racing oil it just perfomance street oil, Im sure real racing oil cant be used in a street motor, like Nascar and Indy car Oil now that Racing only stuff.

Stang2003GT said:
What does Snake Oil mean? Just regular oil that tricks peoples into thinking it better?
Yeah in a nutshell.
Stang2003GT said:
Doesnt anyone watch those spike TV shows? Check out RP homepage they claim more power. They also have those videos.
Yup. Wanna see some reports and studies that show how much HP & gas milage you can get from a Tornado fuel saver? Or how about those fuel line magnets?
Stang2003GT said:
Also Royal Purple isnt racing oil it just perfomance street oil, Im sure real racing oil cant be used in a street motor, like Nascar and Indy car Oil now that Racing only stuff.
Racing oil? No such thing really. Guess what kind of oil race cars use? Same stuff we do, only a different weight.

U.M.

Stang2003GT said:
Seriously im about to flip. Just now I had to go jump a firends car and my headlight seal blew off my ****ing car!!!!!! ARRRGGGGG
If it makes you feel better it is a pretty funny story, were the two events directly related? :jester:

Stang2003GT said:
Im saving about 400 dollars to buy a chip and now Im thinking of not doing any mods because I wont ever feel it.
When you say chip I assume you mean a handheld engine programmer such as an SCT XCal2. Chips are played out...

Stang2003GT said:
I love my mustang but modding it is insane. A few hundred dollars slowly invested in a car is worthless. You eather buy a 5 to 8 thousand dollar Supercharger or buy a faster car stock that doesnt need tuning. I guess thats why they have a Mach 1 and a Cobra.
There's always the cheater gas... About $1200 bucks and tank refills and you are going to def feel it...
nos_noszle_installed.jpg

Stang2003GT said:
Gears seem cool but I need highway and the only way to make a stock car faster with out adding to the motor is gears. :(
You will get the gears eventually the money will come.

Stang2003GT said:
I really want to sell this fuel injected POS and get a 1985 mustang with a carb 302.
That would be a great car too but why not try to be happy with the car you have? I suggest you need to throughly clean your car and take it for a nice long cruise in order to "re-bond" with it. Do not try to have sex with it though, the metal is way too sharp in all the obvious places :(

Placebo

Kilgore Trout said:
That would be a great car too but why not try to be happy with the car you have? I suggest you need to throughly clean your car and take it for a nice long cruise in order to "re-bond" with it. Do not try to have sex with it though, the metal is way too sharp in all the obvious places :(

Thats funny, lol.

The two events were like within an hour of each other, its been a headach. My car does feel a bit quicker but I dont realy know. Royal Purple is nothing more then a Car Placebo.

Cold air intakes are car Placebos as well.

Yes I want the SCT XCal2 from Modular Power house, i hear Tim rocks with the tunes. Or is that another car Placebo?

The great thing about the SCT is that it not only allows you to load tunes but it also allows you to monitor, datalog, and learn more about how your car works :nice:

CAI's arent bs mods, they're proven on the dyno to yield hp and torque. It's just that the gains aren't big enough for you to feel it while driving.

Handheld tuners most definitely aren't bs mods either. You bump up the timing, fill it up with higher octane gas to compensate and bam, easy 10-15rwhp.

forgot the friction modifier? or does rp already have it inside?

rp made my tranny feel a lot better. shifts were smoother, but there was still a slight notchy feeling.

I usually place a plastic bag under the filter and let it drain out. then I pop the filter off with the end that screws in facing upwards.

Dude, Royal Purple is way overpriced and nothing special about it. More horsepower, I don't know about that and if so not worth it anyways.

I mean if you are looking for some serious power then yes a supercharger or Nitrous is the way to go. One bolt-on is not gonna change your car, they work in unison. And they will complement that power adder later on down the road. A carbed 302 with bolt ons is not gonna cut it!!! They are nice and mods are cheaper, but you'll need full heads, cams, intake, boltons. Or you can stroke it, but no matter what you will need a power adder sooner or later.