Runs great cold - hesitates and bogs when hot!! Help!!

toolrk

Sep 25, 2006
I replaced the Neutral safety switch and tranny filter and fluid. Car runs great cold but when it gets hot it feels like it starts out in second gear. When I put in first gear it bogs down and seems like its getting no air or something. When cold the AODE seems fine and I have plenty of power. I have 60k on 94 gt. original miles. Has new Flowmasters- could clogged cats cause this problem when hot only. I really appreciatte the help.

• Sponsors (?)

toolrk said:
I replaced the Neutral safety switch and tranny filter and fluid. Car runs great cold but when it gets hot it feels like it starts out in second gear. When I put in first gear it bogs down and seems like its getting no air or something. When cold the AODE seems fine and I have plenty of power. I have 60k on 94 gt. original miles. Has new Flowmasters- could clogged cats cause this problem when hot only. I really appreciatte the help.

I had a very similar problem. The car would burn rubber off the line when its cold, but when it was warm it ran crappy.
It mostly had to do with the ambient air temp. though, not the engine temp.
It would bog, hesitate, and feel like I lost 4 cylinders.
What I did to fix it was use a resistor instead of the ACT in the intake tract.
This completely fixed the problem. I used a 38k OHM resistor, its like a dollar.
You should definetally give it a shot.

Mine had a similar problem with a bad MAF. It looks like more than one thing can exhibit the same symptom. Synned's idea isn't a bad one because it's the cheapest solution, but I'd still pull codes to be sure.

same exact thing happened to me until i eventually lost 1st all in all even when it was cold...i wound up getting a rebuilt and upgraded tranny, that is the thing that fixed it for me.

My car would actually be in 2nd and like you said if you put it into first the car doesnt even move at all ( maybe a tops of 3 or 4 mph)...at least that is what happened to me...but if you put it in 2 it runs ok.

no codes?

Danman765432 said:
same exact thing happened to me until i eventually lost 1st all in all even when it was cold...i wound up getting a rebuilt and upgraded tranny, that is the thing that fixed it for me.

My car would actually be in 2nd and like you said if you put it into first the car doesnt even move at all ( maybe a tops of 3 or 4 mph)...at least that is what happened to me...but if you put it in 2 it runs ok.

Did you get codes for your problem? I am not getting any codes.

No i didnt run codes for mine i kind of just figured it was my trans...I also brought it to a mustang repair shop by me and they test drove it to but this was at the same time that i completely lost 1st gear...so it was obvious that it was screwed up... I lived with my trans being stuck in 2nd after it got hot for about 3-4 months before i got it fixed. My trans also only had 70,000miles on it

Synned said:
I had a very similar problem. The car would burn rubber off the line when its cold, but when it was warm it ran crappy.
It mostly had to do with the ambient air temp. though, not the engine temp.
It would bog, hesitate, and feel like I lost 4 cylinders.
What I did to fix it was use a resistor instead of the ACT in the intake tract.
This completely fixed the problem. I used a 38k OHM resistor, its like a dollar.
You should definetally give it a shot.
How do you wire a resistor??? do you have pics of this???