Sct Chip Check Engine

Lovejoy

Jerking And Popping
Jan 3, 2016
Illinois
Hey guys finally put retuned chip back in car after intake and maf install. Performance tune caused check engine light and car to cut out and nearly die. Also smoked a little from exhaust. Is this normal with new tune and bigger upgrades? I know Bama and these chips aren't exactly loved by Mustang owners but any opinions or past experiences would help. Did clean and put back and seems fine but racing tomorrow so sooner help the better.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't guess, don't try using a crystal ball, don't go find some fortune teller, do the standard thing and dump the codes.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL(Check Engine Light) isn’t on. I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

BAMA chip I take it? Good luck. What's your motor mods? If it's just boltons then I suggest pulling the chip out and just use a timing light. Bump timing up around 14* on 91/93 octane and have fun at the track.

I had a Hypertech chip back in the day. Didn't really do anything for performance that a timing change does.

Reactions: 1 user
BAMA chip? take it out, send it back for a refund. If you must get a mail order chip, I'd contact Willie at Dirty Dirty Racing, or Chris Johnson at JMS
After my nightmare with BAMA I asked for a refund and they refused. Since the chip was technically working. The tunes were shyt. That's why the tunes are free but the chip is extra. I complained to my credit card company and after about 4 months of processing they forced a refund. So I got a free chip out of it at least!
:banana:
I made a snazzy video of it, like ta see it here it goes! Lets see how many morons say it sounds like I have a vacuum leak this time. :couch:

Rated R for language!

Last edited:
After my nightmare with BAMA I asked for a refund and they refused. Since the chip was technically working. The tunes were shyt. That's why the tunes are free but the chip is extra. I complained to my credit card company and after about 4 months of processing they forced a refund. So I got a free chip out of it at least!
I made a snazzy video of it, like ta see it here it goes! Lets see how many morons say it sounds like I have a vacuum leak this time. :couch:

I can understand your frustration. Please put a nsfw or language warning on your video.

So did you ever get the issues sorted out?

It was sorted in that I got my money back and a free chip since they never asked me to send it back. So if I ever want to I can take my chip and car to a dyno and get an actual working tune. It's not high on my list though right now.

if its an SCT chip, you can sell it as new ones go for $200 and up. I just sold an SCT 4 bank switch chip on flea bay for $150 that was included with the Vortech kit I bought. My tuner uses Diablo software and it was of no use to me. Someone can have a new tune burned on the chip at any SCT tuner.

I had the Bama 4 bank chip in my 93 and it worked for 6 months without any problems, but did not help with performance. I then put in an older msd-6al box and started having problems. The engine would cut off for a second and come right back on. It some times would die. The problem only happened when the box and chip were in at the same time. Individually they worked. The box helped with idleing more so I am just using it now with no chip. Bama was no help whatsoever.