Seat support add on?

limp

wrap a little cheese around it and its a done
Oct 4, 2020
Florida
Would these be a good idea to install " just because"?
My 83 convertible is like new in this area, but????
I am installing full length MM sub frame connectors but these looked like a " while I am in there" add on maybe?
1701613564303.png

• Sponsors (?)

So the MM full length subframes come with the seat supports for the rear mounting position of the seats. These are typically what crack the floor pan from being over loaded which the MM brackets address. Rarely do you see front mounting locations damaged.

I’m not sure where the ones in the picture you attached go. Do you have a link to them?

That is a replacement for the front mounting of the seat, sometimes a stud gets busted off and needs repair but rarely the entire brace, the brace that needs to be added is in the rear of the seat mounts. The floor can/will crack especially if you are larger.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen the front section torn on multiple occasions including my car. There are probably multiple factors responsible. Drivers weight, weak seat frames, lack of support in the rear.
My guess is that without the car being a daily driver, with the rear support brace in place, it won't happen.
But they are oy $99 and the car is apart, if it makes you feel better, you should do it.

Take a good look at the studs and around them. If you see any cracks just weld them up and move on. One of my buddies put some fender washers down on them and welded them up for reinforcement.

Reactions: 1 users
Take a good look at the studs and around them. If you see any cracks just weld them up and move on. One of my buddies put some fender washers down on them and welded them up for reinforcement.
While I don't disagree, that solution could be complicated. If the car is apart and you don't have a welder or know how to weld (may not be the place to start) these plates surely cost less than what it would be to either pay someone or try and get a friend to your house to weld it.

While I don't disagree, that solution could be complicated. If the car is apart and you don't have a welder or know how to weld (may not be the place to start) these plates surely cost less than what it would be to either pay someone or try and get a friend to your house to weld it.
The car is apart with no carpet or seats...
I am ready to install sub frame connectors and while watching some video's on Fox bodies, it looks like this is a weak point in these cars and like I said, " why not" install these??
Am I correct in saying the sub frame connector seat braces solve the rear seat bolt problem?
While under the car I noticed some daylight coming through the floor.. The car is rust free ( been in my family since 84) so this got me looking around for other possible weak areas...
The crack where I the daylight was coming from was on the top of the tunnel, at the top of where the floor bumps up, under the rear seat... I will drill holes at the end of each leg of the crack and weld it up.. I might even reinforce it some....

Last edited:
Honestly, if those were available when my car was apart, i probably would have installed them. The MM SFC's brace the rear bolts (that frequently tear the pan) but these reinforce the front, which also is pront to tearing out.

Can't hurt, and seems simple to install.

EH, maybe i'll toss them on my to-do list.

Honestly, if those were available when my car was apart, i probably would have installed them. The MM SFC's brace the rear bolts (that frequently tear the pan) but these reinforce the front, which also is pront to tearing out.

Can't hurt, and seems simple to install.
I think some welding, in addition to the install bolts, would not hurt either..
More use for the new welder I just purchased.... LOL

It is overkill if you have full length subframes with rear seat braces unless you are a big dude but I am not saying to not do it as it is your car. I would spend my time and money elsewhere like welding up the lower torque boxes.

Ok, let me say, since I know limp, and I've seen the car, not inspected up close but I've seen enough of it, if the front studs and factory brace is not rusted or damage I say leave it alone, he is a big guy, I wouldn't say large (to his face or in print, after all I'm a fly weight :rolleyes:) I would brace the rear bolt area with the SFC and, only because he has a heavy azz 9in rear housing hanging around out back, install the rear control arm box braces but that's just me.
I should add I've not looked at the seat braces in the car

Seems as when I have looked at these they say " will not work on a convertible" ?

Has to do with all that extra bracing they add for the convertibles. There' some at the rear that interferes. You can likely make it work, but you are deviating from the standard instructions a little.

Just weld up the stock torque boxes and move on. Battle Boxes are for all out drag cars with a lot of rwhp. The stockers are just spot welded so if you weld them out (I would skip weld them to avoid too much heat at one time), clean the welds up and paint them back up (in the car and under the car) you will be fine. If you are still using the upper control arm mounts weld them out as well. Plenty of 500 rwhp cars that are just welded up.

Reactions: 2 users