Seriously now.... WTF??!!!

BAD67FUN

Founding Member
Oct 31, 2001
Wisconsin
Okay, about a week ago I had started a thread that my brake lights were out. The turn signals work fine. I didn't pull any fuses to check them because nobody mentioned that there may be a single specific fuse for the brakes alone. A couple people mentioned the gizmo right on the brake pedal and one guy even posted a pic. So I'm laying on my back under there tonight with my head jammed down by the pedals (I'm 6'3") and find that piece. Great, wonderful. But I notice that there are NO wire connections onto the two contact spades!! That can't be right, can it? I've had the car for years and nobody has ever said anything about my brakes not working. The part that really ticks me off is that I can't find the missing wire connections to plug them back on to this piece!!! They HAVE to be there, don't they?

Now here's another queer part. I got pulled over a couple weeks ago for expired plates (I'm waiting for my collector plates in the mail) and the officer didn't say one thing about brake lights being out. It was during the day... possible he didn't notice??

I did do the Baer disc brake conversion this past winter... but I can't see how that would make a difference. Like I said.. the cop didn't even notice.

Either way I'm frustrated as heck..

Please tell me what the heck is going on?

First I'd like to know above all (checking wires, connections, fuses, etc) that there indeed should be a connection to that gizmo on the brake pedal. That would at least be a start. Maybe I could get a replacement harness for it?

Thanks for your time, people.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude I don't know what the P.O. may have done. The gizmo looks fine to me. The two spades are clear as day in front of my nose... with no connectors or wire or anything attached. I layed there a good 15 minutes trying to find the connectors that may belong to it. Nothing.

I'm seeing two possibilities.
1. the brake lights never worked since you had it

2. the standard switch failed and the PO replaced it with something else rather than replace the switch. Why? I have no clue. Maybe he put a aftermarket switch someplace nearby. I would look around for that, I guess.

I just happen to have my Stang today so took a quick look. The brake switch has two green wires coming out of the wiring bundle just behind the ashtray. My switch is worn, I have the new one but my lazy butt hasn't got under there yet. If I press on the pedal hard enough the lights come on with the engine running (power front discs), but at times they won't come on because I may not press the pedal hard enough to stop.

i just checked mine, and the two green wires run in to a big bundle right behind my ashtray, you might want to start there. By the way where in wisc are you?? I'm about 100 miles west of lacrose near Austin Minnesota

Alright... I talked to one of my most trusted car dudes in the shop and he said that no matter what... there HAS to be wires connected to that brake gizmo on the pedal for the lights to work.

So I guess I just have to try again.

BAD67FUN said:
Alright... I talked to one of my most trusted car dudes in the shop and he said that no matter what... there HAS to be wires connected to that brake gizmo on the pedal for the lights to work.

So I guess I just have to try again.

That's IF the previous owner didn't swap to a hydrolic pressure based switch for some reason. I don't know why anyone would do that, but it's a definate possibility.

Newby's Observation

I'm new to this thread and BRAND new to my 68 coupe. I'm changing the front brakes to disc, get under the brake pedal, (I'm 6'2" so I feel your pain), and as I pulled the cotter-pin (sorta) off of the end of the master cylinder push rod, another little clippie doo-dad popped off of the whole mess. Since there were a couple of wires attached, I'm thinking that they are the brake light switch wiring. If you figure exactly how/where they jam back into that area, please publicize it.

:flag:

This might help.

http://hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/wiring/67exter1.jpg

It's almost the same wiring schematic as in the Haynes Manual (my Big Blue Ford manual doesn't have the schematic?). The wiring diagram shows the brake switch wires going to the steering colum wiring. If the link comes up too small, move cursor to bottom right of picture and click on enlargement icon when it appears. Good luck.

I did find that diagram... thanks.

What I believe it is saying is that the wire group used for the brake lighting is the same that is used for the turn signal, running lights, plate light, etc...

So I want to say that the wires running back are okay.

I just can't believe there aren't any wires dangling there for the brake light switch. My friggin back is jacked from laying there.

Ridiculous...

But I got an old gear head here at work that says he can find it in five minutes... I told him I'd bet him $5. It's well worth it if I lose.. :)

Jim Osborne Publications produces a thin volume called, "'67 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual". This has drawings of the harnesses and how they are to be installed. Additionally schematics are provided. Stop by your local Mustang vendor or mailorder. $15 and well worth the money for this and future electrical problems. I'm a former '65 owner so my book is likely not the same as the '67. Can anyone validate whether the brake light breakout of the harness is visible in the drawing?

BAD67FUN said:
My friggin back is jacked from laying there.

Ridiculous...

But I got an old gear head here at work that says he can find it in five minutes... I told him I'd bet him $5. It's well worth it if I lose.. :)

When I replaced my MC and booster, I removed the driver's seat and lay on the floor of the car. I'm too mature (fat) and old to be contorting my body anymore.