Shaved Tires

cjones

Founding Member
Jul 20, 2002
Avondale, AZ
i'm posting this in both Race tech and 50 tech:

does anyone know of a place that can/will shave tires in AZ??

two of my truck tires are badly cupped (i replaced the shocks already) and would like to shave them instead of replacing them

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

Shopping thread - try 5.0 Talk, instead.

FWIW, I've seen shaved tires for sale on Craigslist, but to me, they just look like tires that someone's done a few too many burnouts on. You're better off just buying a set of used tires, if you want a cheap alternative to getting brand new tires, rather than paying to have yours buzzed down, IMO.

Shopping thread - try 5.0 Talk, instead.

FWIW, I've seen shaved tires for sale on Craigslist, but to me, they just look like tires that someone's done a few too many burnouts on. You're better off just buying a set of used tires, if you want a cheap alternative to getting brand new tires, rather than paying to have yours buzzed down, IMO.

in the later 80's and early 90's I/we (worked a several tire stores) would shave tires to true them to round, that's what i want to do. most shaved tires that you can buy are for racing and they take upto 2/3 of the tread off the tire.

i haven't found any used in the size i need and they run over $400 per tire new.

Hissin50 - i'll be posting there when i get off of here.

edit: hissin50 i guess it's been too long since i was there. they closed my accout have to wait for approval now.
take care

Hissin50 - i'll be posting there when i get off of here.

edit: hissin50 i guess it's been too long since i was there. they closed my accout have to wait for approval now.
take care

I think I came up with a temporary work-around. I PM'd ya. ;)

hissin50 - still no word from 1320 on my account, oh well.

i have an appt. with Page over at Astro Body Ctr this wednesday (thanks to Frank at So-Cal Speed Shop). i'll let y'all know how it went.

CJ, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe they took the weekend off. I'll try and shoot someone over there a PM to see if they will expedite it along.

FWIW, I haven't PM'd ya because the thread over there didnt get any replies, other than one gent asking if I was the same Hissin from Stangnet. :p

I'm glad you got it worked out on your own. :nice:

it was two different causes for the vibration
1. cupped tire - went to Astro Body Center and had them round all the tires, two of the tires were not round. these tires are large mud tires and we could not get them perfect because the lugs would flex but they are a lot better than they were.

2. the rear driveshaft slip yoke was worn out. the driveshaft attaches to the tranfer case and rearend with flanges and has a slipyoke in the shaft.

after doing both of those things the ride is acceptable. at some point i may remove the balancing beads and have the tires Road Force(yes, i found a company that does that) tested to see if there are any defects in the tire.

thanks again