shock/strut + coil instalation, hard or easy?

• Sponsors (?)

The shocks are cake and do not require a compressor. Now the struts on the other hand do but it can be done without by CAREFULLY lowering the control arm with a jack but I don't recommend it. Now to me the hardest part will be taking off the c/c plates as it may require an impact wrench. If you don't have one get yourself one long ass breaker bar. Other than that, cake as well.

fivespeedsteed said:
what are some other names people call them, i cant find them on any of my local autoparts store websites.shoud i just get one off the internet?

If you look in a Service manual you we see the correct style compressor. It has 2 plates, 1 slips into the coils at the top and the other goes on the bottom, the threaded rod comes down through the hole in the lower A Arm, a bearing is sliped on and then a giant nut. Turn the nut until the tension off the spring is relieved.

ms93gt said:
Now to me the hardest part will be taking off the c/c plates as it may require an impact wrench. If you don't have one get yourself one long ass breaker bar. Other than that, cake as well.

You might have c/c plates but he probably doesn't. Just to clarify ms93gt's post a little, you'll need to take the nut off the top of the front stuts which is a little difficult without an impact wrench because the strut will just spin when you try to loosen it with hand tools. The breaker bar approach might work but when I did my c/c plates, which require the same nut to be removed, the damned thing was impossible until I broke out the impact.

I just did my springs today I put in Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs. In a driveway, the hardest part is going to be the spring reinstall if you are putting in different springs. Buying a spring compressor might be a bit much for a garage wrench-head, but most tire stores and auto part stores will rent one, even if it's expensive (even $500.00 a day would be worth it) it's well worth the money. If you're putting in the same springs you're taking out, what I would do is, jack the car and put it on stands placed anywhere but the a-arms. Move the jack to the a-arm and lift the suspension until the car wants to lift off the stands. Once you have your spring compressed wrap A LOT of wire or something strong around as many spring loops as you can so that they don't expand again. then lower the a-arm slowly to free the spring then just pull it out by hand. If you don't cut your wire, you can just put them back in, raise the a-arm and cut the wire to reinstall.

You can also do it all by yourself, but a buddy would be helpful.

If you're going to replace the shocks/struts it would be a very good idea to do it at the same time as the springs since you basically have to remove them to change the springs.

If you're just changing the shocks and struts, it's very easy, you don't need to mess with the springs or a-arms or anything, it's just a nut and a bolt operation. Put the car on stands so that the suspension hangs free without any vehicle weight, because the front will not compress enough to clear for removal. You can force your rear to compress enough by hand if you wanted to put a little effort into it.

Hope that helps!