Shopping for new 5spd

Mark89coupe

Apr 5, 2005
Im looking for a rebuilt T-5. I know about the optional 1st gear ratio, the 2.95. Is there a option for a deeper 5th gear to possibly lower the HWY rpms? Whats the difference with the alloy and super alloys over stock.
Is the optional 2.95 ratio only for strip? Does anyone use it for everyday driving?

• Sponsors (?)

Mark89coupe said:
I would love a 6spd. Cant afford it. Im most likely gona get a stock t-5. Can anyone recommend a good place to get one?

The trans your asking about is known as a T5Z, its available thru Ford Racing, has the 2.95 first gear, and a longer 5th(cant remember the exact ratio, but its definitely different) Not too common to find these rebuilt,as they are an aftermarket trans only, never were installed in a production vehicle. You can buy the gear sets to change yours over, but its not cheap(480 for gears,180 for the rebuild kit, plus labor) might as well buy a new one. Best factory T5 is the one for the 93 Cobra, it has 3.35 first and regular 5th. These can be bought new also from places like D&D in Wixom MI. They probably have the best price,and are very reliable to deal with(Don Walsh 5.0 Champ is the owner)
Where are you located, Ive got a Cobra trans forsale in S/E Mich

D&D performance has great customer service, unfortunately I haven't purchased anything from them. I was going to buy the T-5Z but I found a local with everything I needed for my 5 speed swap. D&D still treated me like I was their best customer. When it is time for a new tranny, they got my business.

NosPony said:
Definetly try D&D they are the best. I got a t5 with the 2.95 gear. Real nice tranny I think.

What does the 2.95 gear do for the cars performance. What difference from a stock gear? I have 3.73 rear gears, will the 2.95 still feel the same at take off?

Im also going to install a King cobra clutch kit, put in a new flywheel, new crossmember and get a steel bearing retainer. Is there anything else I should change when im under there?

a 2.95 first gear will give you a higher top end in first gear, but will make it so you don't pull as hard. That is assuming you don't have enough power to break the tires loose. From the looks of it, I'm SURE you could break the tires loose from just mashing on the gas in first with a 2.95 gear. With your 3.73's and other mods it should pull just as hard, just your first gear will top out at a higher MPH, which will cause you to be revving higher when you shift in to second.

Installed the new cltch and trans.

I just installed a king cobra clutch kit and installed a rebuilt t-5 trans.
I love the new clutch. I can chirp third without even pushing the engine past 4000 rpms. Second gear snaps my head back.
I guess my old parts were really shot to hell.

I got the parts from Astro Performance Wearhouse. Free shipping! The sent the trans out the same day I called them. Unbelievable service.