Shorty headers

• Sponsors (?)

ruffy said:
Your're not going to get a lot of just the shortys because the stock exhaust manifolds are pretty good ones.
So the long headers are giving sizable gains because you are either doing away with the cats or replacing them with hi-flo ones?

I have the FRPP shorty headers and noticed primarily a change in sound. I have read where the gain is around 3-5 hp at best. I have yet to dyno my car, but the Ford shorties didn't create a dramatic feel in the seat like you might be looking for. If you want performance, the long tubes are the way to go.

a ford mechanic that i know says that headers are a wasted of money for the 05. the hp/$ is poor. better off spending money on gears. i personally think headers will only be a big gain with a power adder.

bigcat said:
a ford mechanic that i know says that headers are a wasted of money for the 05. the hp/$ is poor. better off spending money on gears. i personally think headers will only be a big gain with a power adder.

Hey I got the same advice yesterday when I got intake and tune work done. The mechanic had ask me if I was doing anything else I told him I was getting the JBA headers put on next week he told me that is a waste of money if i'm looking for more horses. I asked him what would be a better investment he said the gears should be upgraded. He said the sound of the headers is about the biggest thing you will notice, and maybe 5-8 hp. You must have went to the same mechanic either that or it is common sense among them. My car already feels noticeably different with the c&l and sports performance tune.

bigcat said:

I could not agree more & I have the ford shorty's. The sound is very noticable the power isn't & I've been to the dynojet. I'm adding a Blower as soon as the whipple or roush hits the market but even if I wasn't I'd still put headers on anyway just cause i think all sports cars should have them.

Long tubes won't give you anymore power with regular street driving and I'd bet they will actually slow the car down; now on the top end it will help.

It's a lot of work getting them on so plan 6-8 hrs with some very small tools.

royb said:
I could not agree more & I have the ford shorty's. The sound is very noticable the power isn't & I've been to the dynojet. I'm adding a Blower as soon as the whipple or roush hits the market but even if I wasn't I'd still put headers on anyway just cause i think all sports cars should have them.

Long tubes won't give you anymore power with regular street driving and I'd bet they will actually slow the car down; now on the top end it will help.

It's a lot of work getting them on so plan 6-8 hrs with some very small tools.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I might eventually just replace the mufflers to get a better look and a few added ponies. They're easy enough to install myself without breaking my back. :nice: