Engine Should Auto Trans Be in Drive When Setting Base Idle

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I've always set the base idle on my 5.0L/AOD combo with the trans in park.

I'm in the process of doing a tune-up and a friend stated I needed to set base idle with the trans in drive. He said it provides a more accurate idle speed.

How do you guys, with an auto trans, set your base idle speed?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

Here is my take and keep in mind I am not a technician, I'm not even a very good shade tree mechanic.
Base idle is set in park, ac off. The air idle control valve, along with imput from other sensors will control the idle up thing through the computer when the vehicle is put in gear and/or ac engage,
He is confusing setting base idle on a carb'd vehicle where the idle is set manually and not computer controlled.

In park (or N), with wheels blocked, and the the tested parking brake applied Is the only way I’m adjusting idle speed. I’ll sit in the car with a foot on the brakes to test it in D and with the AC on. That goes got carbureted or EFI cars. I’ll let you know about electric and hover cars after I get to work on some. But I’m not going out of the car on purpose while it is in D.:chair:That can get ugly quickly.

Last edited:
In park (or N), with wheels blocked, and the the tested parking brake applied Is the only way I’m adjusting idle speed. I’ll sit in the car with a foot on the brakes to test it in D and with the AC on. That goes got carbureted or EFI cars. I’ll let you know about electric and hover cars after I get to work on some. But I’m not going out of the car on purpose while it is in D.:chair:That can get ugly quickly.
Yep, it could get ugly real fast. Had my wife on standby to help out if necessary.