Should I buy? Need general 2.3L info

Swarm

Dec 17, 2004
Central Indiana
If I'm on the wrong board, would someone please redirect me?

I'm thinking of purchasing a '93 2.3L (not turbo). Price is about average for others I've seen for sale. Body is in good shape except for a small hole in the rear bumper, interior is decent, looks to have been fairly well taken care of. What can anyone tell me (in general) about these cars? It will be my daily driver. Are they reliable, good gas mileage, easy to repair, do weird things go wrong with them, etc.? We've always been a Ford family, but I've never owned a Mustang, so I just wanted some basic info. Also, can anyone tell me about that 8 plug set up. I know Ford did it for a number of years, but I didn't know what the point was - increased gas mileage, better horse power, what?

Thanks for any info that anyone has. Happy holidays!

Swarm

• Sponsors (?)

Swarm said:
I'm thinking of purchasing a '93 2.3L (not turbo).

Notch or Hatch? I have a 93 Hatch that is almost bullet proof. I have a couple issues with my Transmission, It needs flushed, and the heater (which sucks) but I get about 26-30 mpg and the car can get kicked by its own ass in a race. If it is a hatchback and is in good shape but it because it is the last of the Fox III hatches made and makes a great reliable car.

Well, I bought the '93 on Friday evening. To answer Kiddiccarus, it's a hatchback. Looks pretty good except for the serious amount of rust surrounding the hatch lock. So far this past weekend, I drove it about 240 miles. Haven't figured the gas mileage yet, but looks to be close to what you're getting.

So far only two minot problems with the car: The dome light came on and wound't go off. I popped the bulb out to save the battery, but I'm not sure the hatch is latching properly part of the time. Any ideas? Also, the stereo (which is a factory Ford, but I don't think the one that came in the car) has been unhooked. My son pulled it out, but we don't know much about stereos and don't know how to wire it back up properly. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a factory Ford?

I see that kiddiccarus has some Indianapolis connection, I live about 40 miles south of there. Great place for cars! Anybody else from around southern Indiana? Glad to finally be a Mustang owner!

Swarm said:
Well, I bought the '93 on Friday evening. To answer Kiddiccarus, it's a hatchback. Looks pretty good except for the serious amount of rust surrounding the hatch lock. So far this past weekend, I drove it about 240 miles. Haven't figured the gas mileage yet, but looks to be close to what you're getting.

So far only two minot problems with the car: The dome light came on and wound't go off. I popped the bulb out to save the battery, but I'm not sure the hatch is latching properly part of the time. Any ideas? Also, the stereo (which is a factory Ford, but I don't think the one that came in the car) has been unhooked. My son pulled it out, but we don't know much about stereos and don't know how to wire it back up properly. Anyone have a wiring diagram for a factory Ford?

Rust on the hatch lip is a pretty common problem on Fox hatchbacks.

There's a chance the hatch isn't latching properly, I had problems with mine too. You can move the striker around some to see if it helps...it has a Torx pattern in the end of it.

As for the stereo- does the harness still have the factory plug on it that plugs into the radio? If it does, but doesn't plug into the radio you have, finding a correct radio should be easy. If the plug is gone, then you will need a wiring diagram to match up all the wires.

Radio wiring is super simple. If you go to any auto parts store, they sell a harness that on one end has a plug that will plug right into the harness underneath the dash. On the other end, the wires are exposed and already stripped for you. (its really just half of a wiring harness)They are all color coded and marked. On the back side of the radio there will be the same thing, (unless its the ford radio which has a plug on each end) a wiring harness with a plug on one end and bare wires on the other. The plug will go into the back of the radio and you simply splice the wires of the two harness's together. I would reccomend buying a cd player, and some aftermarket speakers. Even if you dont listen to cd's alot, the quality of the unit is so much greater then whats in the car now. And its super easy. The hardest part is getting the stupid factory radio out, and you guys already have that done. You can also pick up a dash trim kit, Just a beezel kit that fills in all the gaps around the cd player. Gives it a nice finished look. Unfortunatly, you basicly need this unless your ultra creative. Yesterday, I bought the dash trim kit, wiring harness and crimp connectors for a friends car, $29.80 at pepboys. Definatly not expensive.

My last cd player in stall took me half an hour. The first one I ever did, only took me an hour and a half.

Congrats on the new baby! The 2.3 is a great engine, it'll run well for a loonng time. I would suggest if it hasn't been done already to go through and replace old hoses, spark plug wires, etc if it hasn't been done already, just to be on the safe side. Flush out the radiator, put new antifreeze in (after awhile it becomes acidic and eats holes in the radiator) just all the basic stuff . Considering you don't know the last time all that has been done, it's just best to get it out of the way before it causes problem sdown the road!! I would also suggest getting a good manual, it really helps. Let us know how it goes!

I've put my 93' LX notch 2.3L through hell and then through hell all over again with zero problems 130k. The main thing on these cars that most have problems with is the A4LD (AOD trassmission). These cars are slow as Christmas but are darn near bullet proof.

I would like to mention on the radio part, if someone cut up the factory radio harness you could be in for some fun. The people who I got my car from screwed the wiring to hell and back. Now if your wiring is stock you need to know your car most likely comes with a stock Amp called Fords premium system I think. If your car has this you may be stock just using a stock radio in your car since most aftermarket radios probaly comes with to much power for these stock cheap Amps. I think they was like 15 watts or something like that. Anyways I gave up on my car and had Best Buy do it. After 2 days she was sounding good. Yup two days, one day repairing the stock wiring and the second day just rewiring without the Ford harness lol. O before I forget if you replace the dash speakers you will need these small adaptor plugs. Best Buy sells them like 5.00 bux a pice and are very easy to install with a new speaker. Now I don't know much about the back speakers on a Hatch but if they're 6x8 ( I think thats stock on Fords) these are sometimes a PITA to locate but the 6x7s aren't and bolt right up :nice: One more thing...I know I know lol If you go with a CD it's kinda rough swaping disc with a auto in park. I don't really buy CDs but my XFM came with a CD player.

Thanks for all of the info on the new car (whom I've taken to calling the Silver Beastie in my head). I'm not going to say I love the car (when I love a car, bad things happen to it), but we're getting along nicely. Even my 18 yr. old son doesn't mind driving it, which I couldn't say about my '94 Lincoln Conti. It was a mamaw car.

I'm sure I'll have questions, etc. as I progress in my Mustang ownership period. It's easy to have wacky stuff go wrong with a 12 year old car. The third day I owned it, I locked myself out of it - those things are damn near impossible to break into! Glad I had a spare key at home.

I've decided to just give up on the stereo that's in the car. I'm going to get something installed from a professional. I don't want anything out of control, just basic stuff that sounds good. I was hoping I'd come up with enough cash from Christmas to make that happen, but alas, it's not to be. Guess I'll wait a couple more weeks until I can save up.

Also, any Merkur guys on this list? I'm looking for parts (drivetrain) for my son's '89 Merkur Scorpio. I know...I know...they're weird little things, but he really digs it!

Swarm

Swarm said:
those things are damn near impossible to break into!

I find them pretty easy to open my self but they maybe because I use to unlock cars ;) Now the sad thing is when I crook opens a Fox stang they usualy bust open that little side glass right by the door :( This pice I believe is getting kind hard to replace now days.

Swarm said:
I've decided to just give up on the stereo that's in the car. I'm going to get something installed from a professional. I don't want anything out of control, just basic stuff that sounds good. I was hoping I'd come up with enough cash from Christmas to make that happen, but alas, it's not to be. Guess I'll wait a couple more weeks until I can save up.

You would die LOL if you saw what I was listening to for years before Santa finnaly gave me a stack of Best Buy gift cards :D Lets just say I had to drive with one hand on the radio tunner constently tunning in my songs :eek:

Swarm said:
Also, any Merkur guys on this list? I'm looking for parts (drivetrain) for my son's '89 Merkur Scorpio. I know...I know...they're weird little things, but he really digs it!

Swarm

If you haven't tryed already, ask the guys on www.TurboFord.org there is a lot of Merkur owners on there as well. Also there is a Forum just for Merkur owners but I can't the link at this time. I'm not to up on the models of Merkurs but I know a guy around here whos got a few for sell ( 85's I believe)if you live near by. Also I know there was a 88/89 Merkur for sell in this small town of southern Arkansaw. I will be in the neighborhood of that one in a few weeks and could see if it's still there. Anyways let me know if you are interrested in them and I'll check into them etc. I hope that helps.