Should I buy this motor???

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
Guys I need to know, I have little to no room for an engine, but I found a great deal on an explorer motor, 350 bucks!! Complete 5.0 from a 97. Should I pick this up?? The only thing I want is the damn intake, I don't even need the block and I am waiting for AFR 205s to do heads on a motor, only want to do the expensive stuff once. If yall think I should get it, I will fire up the 250 and go pick it up. I don't even know if I have the time today to pick up the motor, I am leaving for a concert at 3:45. Let me know quickly, I told the guuy I would call him back in a few minutes.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, but mableton is where it is at, it is on the other side of ATL from me, I'd have to do a semi circle around ATL on 285, I think it would take me like two hours to get there.

Well I just comitted to picking it up tomorrow. I'm leaving my house at 8, they open at 9, then I guess I'll help them pull the engine and get it on my truck. Damn I am gonna be broke till I sell this stuff off. So 350, plus a gay charge to pulll it of 50 bucks so 400 bucks I'm back, then I desperately need tires and I am supposed to pick up the front two tomorrow from another member on here. I need to get a bunch of cash by tomorrow!!

And I have to be at work at 4!

If your putting AFR 205's on a 302 I sure hope its going to be 11:1 compression or something lol.

No its not gonna be a 302, I was thinking more like a 408 stroker or 393, something along those lines. I am just waiting to do all the big stuff at once, but an exploder intake I can throw on there for now, along with a 75 shot I am thinking and that'll be plenty for a junior in HS, then when I get a lil older, I am thinkin a badass motor, that I'll build up. I just don't want to have more problems than I want, no offence mob lol at this point.

No its not gonna be a 302, I was thinking more like a 408 stroker or 393, something along those lines. I am just waiting to do all the big stuff at once, but an exploder intake I can throw on there for now, along with a 75 shot I am thinking and that'll be plenty for a junior in HS, then when I get a lil older, I am thinkin a badass motor, that I'll build up. I just don't want to have more problems than I want, no offence mob lol at this point.

heh, yeah that 75 shot will grow, I threw an 80 shot on my stock motor, went to 125 after losing to my buddies mach 1 lol, 175 was next step but the car came off the road and got the h/c/i, running 125 shot now heh.

yeah right lol, most I'll dare to try is a 150, the kit I want to get from a local guy is adjustable from 75-150, and he only wants 175 for the complete kit with a bottle mounted guage. Damn I am just finding too many good deals lol. I just went to Walmart and cashed my last two paychecks to pay for the engine and tires I am getting, along with some CAs I am also workin on... damn now Im broke lol, not really though, still got 1400 bucks left over, what to do what to do.....

hell, just swap over your distributor and cam and use the explorer motor. sell the stocker or use that as a build project. the explorer has a much better top end and the block is aluminum or so I have been told.

I promised slow95gt the heads, and I don't want to do a complete engine swap unless its necesarry, well I just got out 600 bucks and change so now I am ready for any other good deals that come at me lol. I am also loooking to break even or at least get a decent return.

It sounds good to me, only I'd put the explorer engine in and mod it with minor bolt things. I would get a 351w block and build a 393. That's what I'm doing.

I also have a 69 351 block for 200 bucks and the guy isn't advertising or anything, I just have to go get it. That is the block I will use to make a N/A fuel injected 408 with AFR 205s and Victor intake with 42 lb injectors and maybe a small 200 shot :D That'll be a munster!!!!!!

And what should I ask for the complete bottom end, I am thinking start at 300 and let them talk me down??

I also have a 69 351 block for 200 bucks and the guy isn't advertising or anything, I just have to go get it. That is the block I will use to make a N/A fuel injected 408 with AFR 205s and Victor intake with 42 lb injectors and maybe a small 200 shot :D That'll be a munster!!!!!!

And what should I ask for the complete bottom end, I am thinking start at 300 and let them talk me down??

From what I've read, a 69 351w block is one of the best made with a high nickel content. For $200 I wouldn't sleep until it was inside my garage and locked.