Should I resurface my flywheel if it's only a few years old?

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
I had a bad experience a few years ago installing a Spec Stage 2 with a resurfaced flywheel and ended up taking it apart and putting a brand new ford flywheel in.

Here I am again about to install a Centerforce DF clutch kit and I'm having second thoughts about resurfacing the flywheel again. Yet I don't know if I want to buy a brand new one since the one in there is around 2 years old. Would you guys just leave it the way it is if it looks to be okay?

• Sponsors (?)

During the break-in period I started noticing really bad vibrations. I realized something wasn't right when they didn't clear up. Took everything back apart and found a small chip on the edge of the clutch. I think it was hidden under the protective coating and this left a large scorched mark all around the surfaced part of the pressure plate. I never understood how the chip got there because it pretty much went from the box to on my car, unless it was a defect from the factory. Needless to say I took a loss and SPEC wouldn't replace it because I wasn't using one of their fancy flywheels.

Not sure if the flywheel had anything to do with it either, but I don't want to take my chances. All I could afford after the 1st incident was a Ford HD kit, and now that i'm putting in a Centerforce a few years later I don't want to go down that same road again. Sorry if it sounds kind of stupid, but I read some stuff somewhere about the patterns left on flywheels after they're resurfaced and how they could possibly "eat" up a new clutch. Maybe I got some bad info, but it's always kind of scared me.

Definitely re-surface it. Mostly for the same reason you re-surface brake rotors/drum when you change the pads/shoes. Yes it wears the clutch pads quickly at first, but those surfaces must be mated properly if you want good engagement over the long term. There's always a chance of burning spots of the flywheel whether you re-surface or not. Just inspect the flywheel very closely and make sure everything is ultra clean before installing it. The rest is left up to chance and you breaking it in properly.