Simple Electrical Question

joey_corleone82

Mar 18, 2006
OK so I wanted to hard wire my passport 8500 x50 radar detector into the stang. I wanted it to come on and off with the vehicle. After reading up on the forms I decided to go with the common solution of using the "add-a-circuit." For those that don't know, one end looks like a common fuse and replaces a fuse of your choice. On the other end are female fuse plugs where you put the original fuse, and one rated for your device. Then you crimp the power wire from your device into it as well.

Anyways, in the instructions for the add-a-circuit it specifies to not use a fuse > 10 amps. Looking through the manual for my mustang I found several fuses rated 10 amps or less...and I tried them all...unfortunately, NONE of the ones rated 10 amps or less allowed the detector to turn on / off with the vehicle. My only option was to use a higher rated fuse.

I ended up using the 15amp fuse #20 for the convertible top. Everything is working great and the convertible top is working fine, but I want to know is using that 15amp fuse slot a serious issue, or could it cause a serious issue?

Keep in mind the radar detector only draws like 1-2 amps. Thanks much!

- Joey

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the 10A rating is probably for the add-a circuit itself. When you put the AAC in, you take out the original 15A fuse and insert the AAC. Then you put the original fuse in that. That is the part that is most likely only rated to 10A.

I'm pretty sure that there are other fuses less than 10A that are hot only when the key is on.. I seem to remember a write-up on Stangnet for a gauge install where he used an AAC. Try searching for that one.. I think it was for a vacuum gauge..

Riley