So far not so good on the 351w swap

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
My dad and I were working on setting the engine in the II today, however, the Moroso pan doesn't work with the power rack, I'm not sure about manual rack yet, I may be converting mine to make it fit. No clue about brakes either yet, I pulled the master cylinder and brake booster to make way for the headers. (We're using the Hooker 351w swap headers).

The fenderwells have been cut, and the headers are laying in right now.

We're trying to find a junkyard with a manual rack to at least see if it'll fit with a manual rack. It looks like the oil pan with the power rack needs another 1/2" to 1" of clearance to fit. I doubt massaging it will work, it'd be a lot to bang up.

We haven't really got to the T5 stuff yet, so far that seems to be going decently, we'll see how well everything fits in, haven't got there yet though, engine is holding us up.

I'll keep you guys posted.

• Sponsors (?)

For what it's worth, going from a power to manual rack DOES free up a ton of pan clearance. I had to do the same thing to put the 5.4 in the Thundersnake. I used the stock 351 pan on my 351 Ghia years ago with a power rack with no isssues though. You can always modify the pan by sectioning in a "C" channel across the pan over the rack.

I am running a Milodon pan and a Flaming River manual rack with no clearance problems. I am lucky though my car is manual brakes so I don't have to worry about the booster. Especially with tall valve covers. I found it easier to remove the strut rods. It makes it easier to get the headers in place.

is there any difference between a flaming river manual rack and just a regular manual rack that you can buy from autoparts stores?

i know the flaming river one is prettier, but right now size is my biggest concern.

Flaming river makes a rack for the MII. Dimentionally the flaming river manual rack and the factory manual rack are about the same. Just better quality and steering.The center tube is smaller on the flaming river rack. I just piced it up on Ebay for $80 new because my old manual rack needed new inner tie rod ends. And they are pretty hard to fine.

Here are some pics of both the stock manual rack and the flaming river rack.

getfile.php?id=102696&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20003.jpg

getfile.php?id=102695&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20002.jpg

Attachments

• getfile.php?id=102696&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20003.jpg
    getfile.php?id=102696&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20003.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 119
  • getfile.php?id=102695&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20002.jpg
    getfile.php?id=102695&toggle=fullsize&f=miipics4%20002.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 93
Gael said:
We haven't really got to the T5 stuff yet, so far that seems to be going decently, we'll see how well everything fits in, haven't got there yet though, engine is holding us up.

?

You're fitting the engine without the transmission attached?

If so that's not a good idea.