soldering wires

riceslayer302

Banned
Oct 3, 2006
CT
ok, i need to solder wires for my MSD 6AL box, i just need to lengthen the wiring harness and i dont want to do it wrong, all my electrical knowledge tells me not to solder wires in a location that will be under alot of stress from vibration. So here is what i was thinking, and i would really like you guys to either back me up or turn me a different way. Should i solder the wires and then wrap them in rubber tape with electrical tape over that? or should i just use connectors and wrap them?

• Sponsors (?)

Use environmental splices which come with their own heatshrinking sleeve.
It is a crimp style connector and is sufficient even in inclement weather.
I suggest you use the light blue for or pink for wire gages of 24 and 20 respectively.
If you can find a local electrician shop, they most likely would help you and possibly even let you use their tools at no charge. But you'd have to bring your junk to them of course...

It's never good to use "tape" on connections. It's ugly and only temporary.

I'm more of a fan of soldering, though crimps or solder joints done incorrectly are both equally lame. I worry about crimp connectors and NVH/heat more than decent solder joints.

If you want to solder, here's a decent article.

Good luck.

Another option is to find the weather-proof butt splice connectors with the solder inside. After you perform the crimp you use the heat gun to melt the solder and shrink the insulation at the same time.