Someone Please Help Me Fix My Car

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
My car has had me stumped for months now. It just sits there because I cant figure out whats wrong. It just sputters going down the road. Like a real bad mis fire. Its intermittent also, sometimes it'll run great, other times I can barely get it down the street its so bad. Mostly does it around 1-2k rpm and mostly under light acceleration or while trying to maintain a speed, under hard acceleration it usually runs flawless. And the oddest part is while its giving me these problems my tachometer goes crazy, it just read all over the place bouncing all around. I've gone through 2 distributors with new pip and tfi sensors, I've gone through 2 coils, I've pulled the plugs, which looked good, and replaced them. I ditched the MSD ignition box I had in it and didn't fix the problem. Only thing I haven't changed is the plug wires because they need to be custom made with the 90* boots and haven't wanted to do that even though they are new fairly MSD wires, but even then would that cause my tachometer to go crazy? One thing I did was extend the wires for the coil electrical plug, could using a different size wire change the resistance and cause an issue like this? Issues started randomly after going to the track one day, not like I changed something and it started acting up, it ran fine with the parts I have on it now at some point. I am stumped....

P.S. Pulling codes yields nothing but emission codes.

• Sponsors (?)

Just a stab in the dark here, but try this shade tree back yard mechanic tip..... Wait until dark, start car and pop hood. In the dark you will be able to actually see any misfires due to faulty wires, cap, cracked plugs, etc. It has helped me locate bad wires more than once.....