Sons and Daughters...

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Well, Today starts day 6. 7 days ago, this house was the "go to" for all of my son's friends as a hang out for all night X box and Magic card sessions. A month ago, I'd be sitting right here as yet another girl would knock on the door and ask to see Sean. His male friends would just walk in like it was their house, so much so that the dog stopped barking at and sniffing butt on everyone of them months before.
Now the Air Force has him.
I used to get annoyed at the "revolving door" as some other different kid would walk in, or at the noise that the bunch of them made at 1:00 AM, or the starting cars at 3-4:00 AM right below my bedroom window as they departed.
Now the house seems empty. His room is "haunted" w/ memories.
Sean has been on delayed enlistment status for almost 18 months, starting the process in the last part of his junior year. He has since graduated last year in May, and up until 3 months ago, didn't have a job slot to even be trained for.
The Air Force has become so selective, that they actual "shut down" recruiting now for months at a time, because they are at quota.
My son elected to become a S.E.R.E instructor. A program where the instructors teach all air crew members how to Survive, Evade, Resist, and Escape in the event the plane they were in goes down behind enemy lines. In order to teach, he has to learn by doing.
In his case, it is an elective program, w/ no guarantee of completion. Like a Seal or a Ranger, He has to want to do this. He can fail and wash out, 50% of instructor candidates do. W/ basic training lasting 2 months, and the S.E.R.E program lasting another 5.5, it'll be over 8 months before he can be free to resume any degree of normalcy in his life. 8 months before his mother and I have any hope that he will someday be back to visit.
I miss him terribly already. I am very proud of him.
All this goes to say that if you are a parent of an older child that has moved on to the next phase of their life, then you've been where I am now. I can now say that I know what it feels like.
If you have children, cherish the time you have w/ them today, because like the song says;
Don't blink.
19 years goes by very fast.

I know that this really doesn't belong in 5.0 talk, but this is my "block" in this neighborhood.
Just trying to move on.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thats deep Mike. I get proud of my two year old when he learns a new phrase... Imagine how proud you will be if/when he completes that training. Dont worry, the 8 months will fly by faster than you think too. Might as well keep yourself busy with your wife and the mustang. I always enjoy your posts, whether a funny story from the past, or something straight from the heart such as this.

As an 8 year veteran of the Viet Nam era Air Force I believe that there is no higher calling that to serve your country. The personal benefits that military service instills into you are very positive: maturity, a good work ethic, leadership and often training that translates into useful civilian employment when your enlistment is completed. That plus the VA benefits, make it a great thing to do to get you started in life.

Since I served in the Air Force, I think it's the best of the Armed Forces to serve in. I'm sure that there are others who think that the branch of the Armed Forces they served in was the best, but to each his (or her) own.

Filling the gap in your life left by your son's departure is a change in lifestyle. Find some new things to do and spend some time revisiting some of the good things of the past. Put some extra energy in the relationships you have now and look forward to making some new ones. Your life experience and excellent communication skills make you a natural as a mentor for some of the younger generation. Offer to write an automotive column for free for you local newspaper: the writing skill you have displayed here on Stangnet has kept many of us intrigued, educated and entertained.

Hello mike,

I have a great understanding in what your going through in October of 2005 as a 17 years old I joined the army as a military police officer my primary job as a combat MP not a law and order type. While I was in basic training I missed my friends and family very much as I hit AIT and still felt that way even though it was easier it didn't change a thing. When I hit my last week my mom flew to Fort leonard wood I was able to leave post and see her and with out me knowing she brought my girlfriend which is now my wife. Shortly there after I was off the SRT training (army swat) and was gone for a few more months. I graduated from that then within 2 months I was deployed in support of OIF I spent a total of 19 months in combat training Iraqi swat teams jumping out of helicopters and planes when I finally got home I had changed so much my family was shocked at the man I had become two months before I turned 21 and seen so much and been through a lot. I'm now 23 need a knee replacement and am nearly deaf in my left ear and have 20% vision loss in my left eye. And I wouldn't take back anything I've done in service for my country.

I've now been out for a few months and still wish I was in. The hard work ethics and discipline the military will instill into your son will make any father proud.

In July 2008 I went through Army S.E.R.E. School down in Ft. Rucker, Alabama. 3 weeks of, well, good learning material.. I still think about my toughest days there and it makes me glad I never had to use any of the real skills I picked up.

Your son picked a noble and much needed career as an instructor. I wish him luck and success.

I'm a 15 year MSgt-aircraft mx...I wish him all the best-SERE is no joke. He will be tested at every level of endurance-he'll find within him a place he likely didn't know existed. As long as he holds tight to that which he learns in BMT/tech school, and hones his own moral compass, the AF will be a better place for having him. Good thing he went this time of year...San Antonio is MURDER in the summer time.

Great stuff Mike... I completely agree. There's a great song related to some of what you said Mike and I find as I watch my kids change it takes on a deeper meaning. Song is called Stop this Train by John Mayer and its about life/time chugging right along like an unstoppable train and sometimes you wish it would stop so you could savor it. Anyways, thanks for sharing and God bless you and your family.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

i appreciate the replies from all of you. It always helps when you hear stuff like what's been said above. Not discounting anybody, but thanks especially jrichker. Your words really hit home for me tonight.:flag:

I have always tried to heed the warnings from those who have told me to cherish each moment with my children. Even though I try, its still like a merry go round that I can't get off. Each trip around, another year, is faster than the one before. My baby girl turns 13 in a few weeks and it literally feels like we brought her home just a couple of years ago. Indeed, cherish the little moments, watch your kids play when they don't know you're looking, be very slow to anger as nothing is that big of a deal, and make sure they know you love them.

God bless your son Mike.

SERE - wow. Cool skills to have. Not particularly applicable in civilian business, but you know every guy wants to have the skills it takes to survive in any conditions.

I have always tried to heed the warnings from those who have told me to cherish each moment with my children. Even though I try, its still like a merry go round that I can't get off. Each trip around, another year, is faster than the one before. My baby girl turns 13 in a few weeks and it literally feels like we brought her home just a couple of years ago. Indeed, cherish the little moments, watch your kids play when they don't know you're looking, be very slow to anger as nothing is that big of a deal, and make sure they know you love them.

God bless your son Mike.
Thank you.

As a current AF member I applaud your son and your family for this choice. Just know that he'll be fine and then you will be too. Sometimes things may get hard (especially in SERE/Training), but it's worth it in the end

Thank you, and I know that as soon as we get to hear from him, it'll get alot better.

SERE - wow. Cool skills to have. Not particularly applicable in civilian business, but you know every guy wants to have the skills it takes to survive in any conditions.

(I think that you're military, or have been, so sorry for preaching to the choir.)
He thinks he'll be a career instructor. I think it'll last the course of the 6 yr initial enlistment. The good thing about the Military is the option to cross train, and/or change directions completely when the opportunity arises. He scored high enough to go any direction he wanted, but got tired of waiting for the tech slots to open. Right now the initial enlistment bonus, and the 55k re-up bonus are occluding his vision of civilian career future possibilities. He plans to stay in. (He chose a 6yr ini. so as to enter as an E3.)
I tell him that there is a reason they offer such a large re-enlistment bonus, and that after six years, even being the instructor gets old when every day you're cold/wet/tired/hot/dirty and all while being bitten by bugs.
But right now, he sees the opportunity as a giant "Bear Grylls" adventure.
The immediate benefit to the SERE training if he gets through it, is the status, and pride he'll get from the accomplishment. The advancement of 51 credit hours towards an Associates degree, and he'll have an additional 15k bonus to get a new car with. As an E3 living on base, w/ no food or insurance expenses eating up his check, the 20.5k first year salary is worth more like 30k out here as a civilian. Not too bad for an out of high school start.
The 90k they award after 3 years of the enlistment for future education, sealed it as a great opportunity. I'm ex Army, an ex AF brat. I know that there are dozens of other benefits that come from being in the military that are not all monetarily related, including the life long friends he make from the community, and respect he'll come to appreciate for the others that are there now, and the ones that came before him.
It's what he wants to do, and I support his decision. I hope he makes it through the SERE training, but it will not matter to me if he doesn't.

Yeah, and he's bound to make rank pretty quickly if he does get through the training. You're right about the 21k. I'm kind of surprised an E3 makes that much, frankly. If he's wise, he'll use the opportunity to start cutting a percentage automatically into a TSP or Roth IRA. If he sets it to say 10% with the TSP, which can be done in a single visit to a finance office or to the MyPay website, he won't ever have to look at it again and it will automatically increase as his pay goes up. It's a smart move. You should talk to him about that now, and it will pay dividends later, literally. Unless he's into investing, it's probably best to opt for the 2050 fund that automatically shifts from risk to conservativism as he gets older. Then it's a set and forget kind of deal.

BTW, I think it's ok for a "kid" to be a kid for the first decade of his adult life before he has to start giving a lot of thought to what he wants to do long term.

It will be a good experience. I am doing the college thing right now and it is a great setup. From experience most colleges will only award those college credits earned in service towards electives if you are lucky. Reason being that colleges have their own degree plan that you need to follow in order to graduate and its hard for them to incorporate military learning into credits they will recognize. Its a lot of fun though and I am glad to have served before trying school, keeps me on track being older and more settled.

I also think jrichker made some good points Mike. I was in the USMC and, while I only did 4 years, I would have to say that it was a good experience for me and proud of the time served. Best of wishes to you & your son & the rest of your family.

We just had our son 4 months ago. Thanks for the reminder how quickly time flies and to cherish the time with them now. My wife and I keep saying how much our son has already changed. It's incredible to be able to see him not only change physically but also with his motor skills (no pun intended haha). We are quite blessed and very thankful!

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure it's a tough time and I'm sure I'll experience it faster than I think. Hope your son does well in the Air Force. Many blessings bro!

Remember this? 8.5 weeks ago I was crying in my wheaties over the perceived loss of my son to the A/F. Today I'm sitting in my room in San Antonio, waiting for the final ceremony to start towards graduation.
What a change! He has GAINED 25 lbs! He left here a skinny kid, and now he's filled out. I get to see the way he looks as a grown man. It took me years to gradually go from my hs weight to the 20 extra lbs I sport now, he has done it in 2 months. He looks great!

SERE is still the plan, and he has his orders to go on to Fairchild in the next 3 weeks. ( if he makes it past the prescreening for SERE they have at Lackland.) He is confident he will make that, and I know this is the mindset he will need to be able to do so.

It's Just an update.

I couldn't be more proud of him if he was graduating valedictorian at Harvard.

Reactions: 1 user