Speaker replacement for 01GT w/ Mach 460

01GT eibach

Nov 18, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
(searched, but did not find much...)

I recently replaced the existing Mach 460 headunit with an Alpine due to its iPod capabilities. This change makes it very clear that some speakers need to change.

1) How hard is it to get at the six speakers? Just pull off the grill and remove the speaker?
2) Are the existing OEM speakers standard sizes that will allow simple replacement?
3) Are there any good how-to's written up on the net (maybe w/ pics)?

• Sponsors (?)

(searched, but did not find much...)

I recently replaced the existing Mach 460 headunit with an Alpine due to its iPod capabilities. This change makes it very clear that some speakers need to change.

1) How hard is it to get at the six speakers? Just pull off the grill and remove the speaker?
2) Are the existing OEM speakers standard sizes that will allow simple replacement?
3) Are there any good how-to's written up on the net (maybe w/ pics)?

I think the main problem with the Mach 460 is that all the speakers are 3 ohms. There pretty much are no 3 ohm speakers to buy so it adds a layer of complexity to everything. I solved it by removing all the amps and speakers and doing it right.

Great info, but now a few more questions:

1) Will the mounting holes for standard-replacement 5x7/6x9 speakers line up to the car's mounting holes for the front and back similarly sized speakers?
2) The car has four OEM 2.5" tweeters. What size (if any) of a standard-size replacement speaker can be used to replace these tweeters? It seems the normal size round tweeters are 3.5". My guess is that this is too big?
3) How bad is it to replace 3 ohm speakers with 4 ohm? How will it sound?

Thanks!!!