Speakers, Head unit, Subs, and Amps predicament

FalconGuy016

Oct 26, 2004
Northern VA
Hey

I am planning to put in a bunch of parts I've collected over this year pretty soon. I have an Alpine CDA 9807 headunit, two 6.5 Rockford Fosgate components, one or two small 2-channel amps, and 2 15" subs in an enclosure.

I am probably going to begin installation over break in my dad's garage. I was originally planning on two amps, one for the two front speakers and one for the sub enclosure. However, one of the amps is my dad's, and he says that there is no reason I should be putting the front speakers on amps. He says that 50 watts each channel out of my Alpine would be way more than enough. Is this true? Will I not lose sound quality even with the volume up high?

In any case, I was wondering how I should wire this. Since I am replacing a lot, should I just rewire the speaker wires? Or is there some way to use the factory wires. Another question I have concerning power - I understand that there are two small factory amps for the Mach 460 in the back - do they have power sources that are good enough for new 150 watt amps? Or should I run new power sources for them (I have an amp power kit).

Since I am running the two rear speakers the way they are, is it possible to leave in the amps they already have? Or would that not be worth having over the subs anyway.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

FalconGuy016 said:
Hey

I am planning to put in a bunch of parts I've collected over this year pretty soon. I have an Alpine CDA 9807 headunit, two 6.5 Rockford Fosgate components, one or two small 2-channel amps, and 2 15" subs in an enclosure.

I am probably going to begin installation over break in my dad's garage. I was originally planning on two amps, one for the two front speakers and one for the sub enclosure. However, one of the amps is my dad's, and he says that there is no reason I should be putting the front speakers on amps. He says that 50 watts each channel out of my Alpine would be way more than enough. Is this true? Will I not lose sound quality even with the volume up high?

In any case, I was wondering how I should wire this. Since I am replacing a lot, should I just rewire the speaker wires? Or is there some way to use the factory wires. Another question I have concerning power - I understand that there are two small factory amps for the Mach 460 in the back - do they have power sources that are good enough for new 150 watt amps? Or should I run new power sources for them (I have an amp power kit).

Since I am running the two rear speakers the way they are, is it possible to leave in the amps they already have? Or would that not be worth having over the subs anyway.

Thanks

Recommendations I would make;

Do not use the rear speakers with the RF components. 2 sets of components is more than enough. The stock rear speakers cannot possibly add anything of quality to the sound. In fact, I would bypass all stock gear including amps and just run new wiring for everything. And fuse everything properly. The Alpine HU will not be suitable for amplifying any speakers if you like to listen to loud, clean music. While HUs are marketed as "50x4" or whatever, the truth is that HU will produce about 15 watts RMS, and is not good for anything but low to mid volume use. Because of power supply limitations, HU amps are easily overdriven into clipping, which is the MOST audible form of distortion. In severe cases this will make your ears feel like they are going to bleed. Severe clipping will also damage amps and speakers. So whether to use it to amp or not depends on your listening habits. Another factor to consider, if you use a pair of 15" subs, your system is going to be very bass heavy and extremely unbalanced if you use the HU to amp any speakers. With those subs your "main" speakers will need all the help they can get from some good amplification.

Do you have proper crossover/crossovers? Distribution block/blocks? Fuses? Relay for remote turn on lead? I recommend this if connecting several pieces of gear. It protects the remote turn on circuit from being ruined.

Bloomy316's Dad.

:stupid:

You need to amp out your components as i read it, you have 2 not 2 sets, im figuring your asking if its ok to use the stock speakers with that,,, i would say no. reason
The factory amps are reading throug a wire harness which will resualt in inferior sound. this is how I would set it up.
HU hooked up, run new lines to the rear speakers that you will purchase new (pioneer/something cheap). 1 amp running the components and the other running the 15's.
4 gauge wire ran to a dist. block 8-10 ran to both amps. run the rca's on opposite side of that power wire. You'll be rockin.

then your swap back to stock will be simple when the day comes b/c you havn't chopped into any fact wires (maybe the Mid thats in the door and the High if its in the door depending how lazy you are?) but other than that it sounds like a very good sys. :nice: