Speedometer cable leak

Joey7508

Oct 23, 2005
Kerrville TX
So here it is I am leaking fluid from the cable where the silver end piece is crimped, the one that would go into the vss. I put a new vss in hopes it would help, but it is clearly the cable now. Here is the deal I have a viper t56 and I was going to get a new cable form d&d but the guy I talked to said it should not leak out cable that there shoudn't be trans fluid pushed in the cable unless the vent tube is pinched or plugged. But from what I have been reading on here fluid does go in the cable form the trans. Has anyone solved this type of problem just by putting a new speedocable on? The trans and cable are only a year old with maybe 6,000 miles on them Don't know that it makes any difference.

• Sponsors (?)

transmission fluid doesnt go into your cable through the trans. it is seperate. but our cables do have a type of grease in them. you might have a crack or split in the cable housing and its allowing water in.

after taking my car to the track I noticed I'm having the same problem . Anyone have a fix?

Could also be because I've been doing a lot of work down there trying to fix a reoccuring broken speedo cable, kept snapping at the sharp bend at the trans mount. On the third attempt I replaced the entire cable with one for non-cruise and took out the VSS (never had cruise anyways) and it's still leaking out the hole. New non cruise cable didn't come with new o ring so I used the one from the VSS. Maybe I just need a new O ring. Good news is: the speedo is working and I now have the right speedo gear.

I have this same annoying problem. I never had the problem with my T-5. But when I swapped in the T56 from D&D, the longer (cheaper) speedo cable started laeking at the crimp. I assumed the VSS was to blame and I replaced it. Tranny fluid started leaking again within a few days. How can a brand new VSS have this problem?

I don't know what to do next. Doesn't make sense to replace the VSS again. I thought about just sealing up the crimp area of the speedo cable with silicone and then just let tranny fluid enter and stay in the cable, but I fear that tranny fluid will start leak at the back of the speedometer.

I never had this issue with the T-5. Why should the T-56 make a difference?

HELP ANYONE!?!?!? :mad:

There should be 2 rubber O-rings.

1 o-ring around the VSS to seal it between the VSS and the trans housing.

1 o-ring around the speedo cable to seal the cable in the VSS.

There should be 2 rubber O-rings.

1 o-ring around the VSS to seal it between the VSS and the trans housing.

1 o-ring around the speedo cable to seal the cable in the VSS.

Yep, both O-rings are present and accounted for. The leak occurs right at the crimp. But, I have a theory about why I have this issue on the T56 and didn't on the T5.

The speedometer drive hole on the T5 was on the left side and above the tail shaft centerline, well above the fluid level line. The speedometer drive hole on the T56 is on the right side and below the tailshaft centerline, very close to the fluid level line. While driving, inertia wouldsubmerge the VSS in transmission fluid.

My theory is that the Ford VSS is intended to keep splash oil from exiting the transmission. However when the VSS is exposed and ran while submerged in transmission fluid, it might not have the ability to maintain a seal and fluid might leak past.

This is my theory. I would love to have some experienced Ford folks tell me if this is reasonable or if I am off my rocker. :shrug:

I have a theory about why I have this issue on the T56 and didn't on the T5.

The speedometer drive hole on the T5 was on the left side and above the tail shaft centerline, well above the fluid level line. The speedometer drive hole on the T56 is on the right side and below the tailshaft centerline, very close to the fluid level line. While driving, inertia wouldsubmerge the VSS in transmission fluid.

My theory is that the Ford VSS is intended to keep splash oil from exiting the transmission. However when the VSS is exposed and ran while submerged in transmission fluid, it might not have the ability to maintain a seal and fluid might leak past.

This is my theory. I would love to have some experienced Ford folks tell me if this is reasonable or if I am off my rocker. :shrug:

I don't think you're off your rocker your theory makes perfect since to me.

Bump.

I have this same problem. 500 miles on a brand new VSS and a new cable and it leaks fluid where the cable plugs into the VSS. I'm leaking quite a bit now...more and more the more i drive.

So there's an O-ring internal to the VSS? I'll have to pull it off and replace it then.

be a while I did solve this problem on mine. There is an o ring in the vss. On another car I had fluid coming all the way up the cable even with the o ring in place and the problem there was that a auto speedo gear had been cut on the little post on the end to fit, and that made a hole in the end of the gear where it is normaly solid. Put an oring in my vss and fixed it and put the correct manual speedo gear on that one and fixed it.

Okay, swapped out the O-ring. LEts see if it fixes it. Original Oring was coated orange, but it was flaking off and deteriorating. I swapped a new Viton O-ring on.

BTW, O-ring on a T-5 VSS for the cable to VSS connection is a -110 O-ring.

I do think however my cable leaks where the metal end is crimped to the plastic sheath. Damn cheap LRS cable! I might have to clean it up really well and smear silicone around this connection.

I had problems with my replacement cables leaking/snapping, i went through three of them over a couple years. I bought a used OEM cable, and have had no leaks or speedometer bounce or snappage, I think I measured the metal end on the ford cable, and it was slightly thicker than the replacements, but I cannot remember for sure anymore. I also have a ford vss.

Well i think i may have fixed it. I ended up putting a small peice of heat shrink over the metal head of the cable where it comes out of the VSS. The shrink has a small bit of glue inside so it should seal that up well.

Now yo see if the new o-ring seals as well.

I have to say i'm disappointed with the quality of some of the parts LRS sells. I've ordered a few things from there, and they just are cheap and flimsy compared to OEM stuff :(

I would have to agree with you, i bought a replacement cover for the stock instrument panel, and it was too big and didnt even come close to fitting. I had gotten my speedometer cables from them, and was un-impressed. I got a full carpet kit, and the main interior carpet is great, but the hatch carpet is too big, and if I trim it, I will loose the stripping that is on the edges. I think it is more aftermarket parts in general, and not just LRS.

Just check after you have driven it a while and make sure that it doesn't pust fluid up the cable and leak behind the dash. You will know because it will drip on the gas pedal. Thats what happened on the car with the bad speedo gear. My cable that leaked at the silver fitting was a cheap cable as well that came with my viper kit. The d&d stuff is really good just the cable is kinda cheap. Probably made by who ever makes lrs stuff. With the vss all sealed up you shouldn't get trans fluid in the cable any way. It comes with some kinda grease or oil in it, they sale some at the parts store in little tubes.

Yep, both O-rings are present and accounted for. The leak occurs right at the crimp. But, I have a theory about why I have this issue on the T56 and didn't on the T5.

OLD THREAD - I do believe your theory to be correct as well when using a T56 with mechanical speedometer/VSS provision which is on the passenger side of the transmission. Mine is a D&D Viper spec T56. A good amount of fluid makes it's way into the speedometer cable and will leak out if not sealed at the crimp