Starter problem(s)

Kriek

Feb 12, 2004
Dallas, TX
I was having some problems with the carb, where I needed to be under the hood holding my hand on top of the carb before it would even begin to run. I was by myself, so I was bypassing the starter relay and the solenoid with a screwdriver to get her cranking. After a few dozen attempts, she stopped, just that familiar clicking noise. I wired up a new solenoid, hooked up a new battery (spare), and wrapped a few times on the starter, and I still have nothing but the click. Is it time to replace the starter? Is it possible that I could have blown it?

Thanks,

Jon

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure all your main cable connections are good first. If you have a voltmeter, you can do a voltage drop test to see how much is lost across each cable. It shouldn't be more than .5 volts.

you might have burned it up if you were continuously turning it over without letting it cool down. you've ruled out the solenoid and the battery, I'd whack it with the BFH a few times and see if it will free up. I had a cheby that I used to have to keep the framing claw in the front seat OOPS looks like you already tried the BFH :D

I busted out the multimeter and checked all the cables; they were all zero ohms. The battery was fully charged and I confirmed the new solenoid was good. I pulled the starter and saw the problem(s) - broken teeth on the gears and a busted capacitor. So I ended up getting a remanufactured starter. It will probably last me 4-5 years, as did the old starter, but it's all I can afford right now.

Thanks again guys,

Jon

You will get this figured out, but please go and get a remote start button. The last one I bought was under five dollars. The spark produced by using a screw driver or a pair of pliers is not a good thing around classic Mustangs with fuel and cleaning fluid fumes.

Been there and one that as a buddy and I almost toasted his MG by producting a spark which erupted into flames in the engine bay!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com