Starting car after three months of being idle...what should I know?

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I haven't driven the GT in about three months. Is there anything I should do before starting it up? I just got a new battery and my alternator tests good. Is there anything I should put in the fuel? Total, it has been driven three times since early December.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if it does it on our cars, but does the computer refrain from firing the injectors if the throttle is opened past a certain point? If so it might not be a bad idea to put the pedal to the floor and crank the engine 5-10 seconds to build-up oil pressure before the engine fires-up. Worst case you could pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine that way. Did you add fuel stabilizer in the tank when you put it away? 3 months isn't that long though, I can't forsee you having any issues starting it. My car usually starts right up after 3 or 4 revolutions after its been stored.

I would've needed to keep starting it every other day to keep the battery from dying. One time I forgot to disconnect it and hadn't touched it since, until a few days ago. My friend told me to disconnect the coil and crank it for a few seconds to move the oil around. I did not put any fuel stabilizer in it previously.

Before starting, get in and press the gas peddle all the way to the floor then start the engine.

It will not start b/c this shuts off the injectors. Let the engine crank for 5 seconds. Do this 2-3 times. This will bring up the oil pressure b/c after sitting for so long all the oil will have drained to the oil pan. This will save your bearings and fill the lifters.