Steeda tri-ax V.S. MGW

• Sponsors (?)

You will get lots of opinions, man. You might check out the "newbies" thread in here, as it has a great modification survey thread in it, with LOTS of opinions.

It all comes down to:
1. The stock piece being a noodle.
2. A great first mod that bonds your and your Stang.
3. Quick, gear-banging shifts.

:)

To sum up what you may find doing a search, Tri-Ax owners vs MGW owners generally comes down to 2 arguments.

1) Tri-ax is supposedly louder than the MGW. I've only run the MGW, so I don't personally know what a tri-ax sounds like, but my MGW is just as quiet as the stock was (without using any extra gaskets, etc.)

2) Shifter strength. The guy at MGW claims the handle is all but unbreakable. I've never heard of one breaking, but I have read at least one thread of a tri-ax owner who broke theirs.

I believe you will be much happier regardless of what decision you make, but as an MGW owner, I highly recommend it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

sgarlic said:
To sum up what you may find doing a search, Tri-Ax owners vs MGW owners generally comes down to 2 arguments.

1) Tri-ax is supposedly louder than the MGW. I've only run the MGW, so I don't personally know what a tri-ax sounds like, but my MGW is just as quiet as the stock was (without using any extra gaskets, etc.)

2) Shifter strength. The guy at MGW claims the handle is all but unbreakable. I've never heard of one breaking, but I have read at least one thread of a tri-ax owner who broke theirs.

I believe you will be much happier regardless of what decision you make, but as an MGW owner, I highly recommend it.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

yo this put me over the edge i getting MGW thanks for the input everyone. :hail2:

I currently have a Pro50 and it is awlsome. I ordered an MGW(will be installed next Tues)just to try something different for the next few years. The Pro50 shift handle was a shorty..so instead of changing the handle I bought a new shifter(and I'll give a review). My feelings on shifters are you will enjoy ANY quality shifter. Everyone seems to like what they have...that is a good statement. But if a choice between Tri-ax & MGW has to made, I would go for the MGW. Their products are 4 star quality & so is their service. George(owner) is a pleasure to deal with & will help you if you have questions.Everything MGW sells has an excellent fit & finish.Also very well packaged.I never heard anything negative about them

I know the tri-ax (maybe also the MGW) gives u the ability to bang into the gates while doing hard shifts without damaging the tranny. Also, they might feel like a gated Ferrari/Lambo-style shifter (I actually got to drive a 355 briefly) as the it's spring loaded, if I'm correct.

but what if its a warm saturday afternoon and u just wanna cruise around granny shifting and such.

how do either of these (or aftermarket shifters in general) fair? are they ok for normal driving or are they made to be sporty shifters?

I know with the Steeda Triax you can set the shifter handle height to what is comfortable to you. Not sure if you can do that with MGW.

Give me a break, so what if one fat tard broke his shifter. That is a rare thing and could probably happen to any in some rare circumstance. The triax shouldn't break, it's made just as good if not better than MGW.

jposthauer said:
Give me a break, so what if one fat tard broke his shifter. That is a rare thing and could probably happen to any in some rare circumstance. The triax shouldn't break, it's made just as good if not better than MGW.

Ok, show me an instance where somebody has broken an MGW handle then. I bet all the searching in the world won't lead you to a post like that.

And whether the guy who broke the tri-ax was a fat tard or not, it still broke, and one shouldn't have that in the back of their mind while in the middle of a race.

After you've had your MGW for about a couple weeks and gotten use to the shifts, go find someone who has a Tri-Ax. You'll think the Tri-Ax is a stock shifter compared to the MGW. The shortness and tightness of the throws can't be matched.

I've had both the MGW and the Tri-Ax (twice!). My vote goes to the Tri-Ax, simply because the handle is adjustable in height. The Tri-Ax I just picked up even came with a rubber isolator to minimize noise. :nice: The MGW shifter is a nice piece too, offering the quietest and shortest shift I've ever experienced, but being that my car is a daily driver comfort is priority #1 - the MGW was too short and had a great deal of resistance to put in gear prior to being "broken-in." If you enjoy the option of having short shifts and/or great handle reach in one package, I recommend the Tri-Ax.

sgarlic said:
Ok, show me an instance where somebody has broken an MGW handle then. I bet all the searching in the world won't lead you to a post like that.

And whether the guy who broke the tri-ax was a fat tard or not, it still broke, and one shouldn't have that in the back of their mind while in the middle of a race.

The first Tri-Ax to hit the market was the one that was prone to breakage. I had it - It was a blue aluminum handle.. and mine never broke. The newer Tri-Ax's come with a forged steel handle that would not break any faster than the transmission itself.

Roger_4.6_96 said:
Everyone here likes tri ax. I would just run a search and private message people who actually have MGW shifter.

Wow... I must have missed the day you got voted in to speak for "everyone here"... :rolleyes:

I have an MGW and like it just fine. One thing it definitely has over the tri-ax is that it is adjustable from side to side which the tri-ax can't do.