Stereo Install Kit W/o Drilling?

88OGVert

Jun 5, 2017
is there any aftermarket radio install kits that don't require drilling holes for visible screws?

Also any suggestions on a small (3-4") or rubber antenna? I want to take off the big factory and have smaller one so I don't have to worry about removing when I put the car cover on.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need a kit if you have the factory rectangle cubby hole. All you have to do is remove the cubby hole from the factory radio....take the bracket off of it and install the aftermarket radio with the cubby below it.

I hate seeing people screw holes to mount those ugly radio surrounds. I'd rather cut the bracket off the top of the cubby hole and install my radio cheaper and cleaner.

You don't need a kit if you have the factory rectangle cubby hole. All you have to do is remove the cubby hole from the factory radio....take the bracket off of it and install the aftermarket radio with the cubby below it.

I hate seeing people screw holes to mount those ugly radio surrounds. I'd rather cut the bracket off the top of the cubby hole and install my radio cheaper and cleaner.

So remove factory radio and cubby, trim the top of cubby for clearance and install aftermarket in the slot used by factory? Is this something u did? Got pics?

Yeah, I really don't want to drill visible holes to mount the stereo.

The stock console will accept a din mount without mods. The unit will slide in and clip into place, and you install the rear mount support which also has a location to slide into.

The issue is the cubby below takes up space with the factory head unit. You must adapt this to the bottom of the new head unit somehow to take up the gap.

But no drilling, or no cutting

Reactions: 1 user
What I do is slide the aftermarket unit and outter shell into the hole and slide it up. The front of the cubby doesn't get modified at all. It goes in kinda at an angle pointing down into the slot...the top edge will go in behind the aftermarket metal sleeve... Then push the bottom of the cubby in place.

I'll post picks when I get home....about 630pm

What I do is slide the aftermarket unit and outter shell into the hole and slide it up. The front of the cubby doesn't get modified at all. It goes in kinda at an angle pointing down into the slot...the top edge will go in behind the aftermarket metal sleeve... Then push the bottom of the cubby in place.

I'll post picks when I get home....about 630pm

Cool much appreciated!!! Thanks again!

As promised....
IMG_20170606_182735018.jpg

Well my pics are uploading super slow...

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_182747278.jpg
    IMG_20170606_182747278.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 152
None of the factory brackets are used. The only metal tabs that i bent out were a couple on the top of the radio sleeve. It all fits together tight enough to not vibrate out...even pulling it out takes some wiggling.

On my convertible I changed the console because someone screwed into it for an aftermarket install kit. I hate seeing those things...and the tiny holes they leave behind.
IMG_20170606_182852978.jpg

IMG_20170606_182824031.jpg
IMG_20170606_182920935.jpg

My cars a little Dusty...