Stock 5.0 Radiators.?? Do the auto's have trans coolers? Any info will help.

two_stangs

Jan 3, 2004
AZ
I need to replace my radiator. And have found many kits. But do stock autos have a trans cooler? Or can I use the 5 speed radiator with an automatic? I see lots of radiators not stating for 5 speed or auto. Adn some stating only for 5 speed or auto.

Are the 5 Speed's and Auto's stock radiators different?

Please let me know any info.

• Sponsors (?)

If you saw the stock one in the radiator, you'd be suprised at how bad it is.... It's just a strip on the inside. Get an aftermarket cooler, or go to the junkyard and find one. I see them there all the time and they all look better than the aftermerket ones I see.

89MustangGX said:
The auto radiators have a tranny cooler in them. If you were to add abig enough external cooler you could eliminate the one in the radiator and/or use a 5-speed unit.

id did this on my 91. got the biggest one i could find(tranny cooler). think of it this way. with a cooler in the rad, your car gets hot,your tranny gets hot.

JETHRO said:
id did this on my 91. got the biggest one i could find(tranny cooler). think of it this way. with a cooler in the rad, your car gets hot,your tranny gets hot.

Where did you mount the External Tranny cooler?

I might go that way. I want to replace the Radiator / Fan / Coolant overflow / to a new setup. My radiators leaking. And I will be doing a lot of aftermarket mods to the engine later so I might as well do it now.

Most radiators have the stock tranny cooler, mine does, but it's just plugged. Stock tranny coolers that are in the radiator suck. You can either get one at about any autoparts store or go to a junk yard. If you go with one form the store, go for the one's for trucks and RV/s, and in a junkyard, get one off a RV or medium truck.