stock clutch fan vs electric fan...

DMAN302

My mom says thanks for the pearl necklace.
Nov 8, 2003
windsor, Canada
Wondering what the 'true' gain is for a electric fan over a properly functioning clutch fan would be? I've heard some numbers I consider inflated and others that indicate nothing. I have installed a taurus fan and am awaiting my DCC unit to arrive so I thought I might see what the real advantage is for one over the other.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never gotten the exact data I wanted either (I'd want CFM movement at a given engine RPM, taken every 1K RPM. Then compare that to an e-fan CFM).

I dont tach it up much (where the parasitic loss begins to show up in numbers). People say they feel a difference - I dont normally buy that (the numbers dont support a SOTP claim).

I think my mech set-up does better than the SN95 fan, for whatever that's worth. It's VERY hard IMHO to truly beat the stock fan set-up (when it has new components). Of course, E-fan folks like to note that one has full flow at idle, which is true. But I still wanna see some CFM numbers at idle (e-fan vs mech fan).

The quick SOTP test (not to be done with Derek's new motor) is to remove the serp belt and go around the block with no serp belt - that'd more than remove parasitic fan loss (for SOTP testing).

:OT: Derek, glad to hear that it sounds like you got ahold of Brian. :nice: It'll be worth the wait.

Brian did finally get the chance to get back to me and include the LED indicator...so I have a nifty light to keep me from having to pop the hood to check what's what...I only hope it doesn't take long for it to arrive as the weather is perfect and she's sitting perdy in the garage. Thanks for the time JT..there really is not alot of definitive info on the HP advantage but I think it will prove a nice addition to the car.

I honestly would be very surprised if any thing was felt by the SOTP meter...the gain I think would be marginal but I think some gain including MPG would have to be there simply by the way the stock unit is driven...but again I don't think you can notice such a mild gain.

according to some of the info baskin has regarding the clutch fan...the stock unit can use near 20 hp at higher RPM...still not something I think you would notice but WOW that is a huge draw to cool an engine!! I can't see that being the case but it is interesting.

I changed to a MK VII setup because the stock fan was freakin annoying! it was so darn loud and sounded like a hair dryer but that was before my H-pipe and Flows, I doubt there is much power gain, but I did get 1mpg better milege with the fan and a can of seafoam

From my personal experience lately with a Flexalite Extreme (3300 cfm) not doing it's job, I switched back to the stock shroud and fan. It actually lowers the temp with the a/c on when I'm steadily traveling over 40mph. Way better than the e-fan which never lowered the temps when things got hot.

Anyway back on topic, I haven't felt any power loss due to the clutch fan. If anything it's a power gain because the car is running cooler. Although it is kind of annoying hearing that thing rev up, it's not as annoying as watching my temp rise to 245*!

If you really think about it, I don't know who has such a sensitive sotp indicator that can discern 10hp out of ~250hp? I personally am putting an E fan in for aestetics, not for HP. I wouldn't believe it (HP gains)unless I saw it on a Dyno, multiple dyno's actually.
Roland, you mean pushing the air out through the radiator while air is trying to come in the opposite way doesn't work? That is silly talk. :) (actually i think that it is funny as well).

regarless of the gain..or lack of I'm very sure the swap will have several benefits and look forward to attaining and installing the controler. I'll keep anyone who's interested posted on any results I come by.

That's why I opted for the LED indicator...so I don't have a stroke getting in and out of the car to look under the hood :). How was your experience with the hook up? it does seem perdy straight forward...two wires in three wires out...hope thats it.

The server was busy earlier so I had trouble getting back to this post.

The hookup is very straight forward. You tap into the battery + & - (don't use the starter solenoid) and a 12V switched source. Once that side is done you just have to wire the fan up and you are good to go.

If you are handy with a set of wire strippers / cutters it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for the wiring.

Roland69 said:
I've seen people put fans on the rad that blow the wrong way....try to push air out and when the drive it would overheat and they couldn't figure out why....
I fixed a friends early model camero after he wired it in reverse and couldn't figure out why it was overheating.

I like my new electric fan and would never put a clutch driven fan on my car simply because i think they are hideous looking (except Dmans his looks pretty nice IMO).